Lost 7 hens last night :(

SharW75

Songster
Jul 26, 2019
Ohio
My mom called me early this morning to tell me that my niece had opened up Mom's coop and found a dead chicken. The coop is old, but has been well predator-proofed, and nothing has gotten in since she started keeping chickens. Unfortunately, they were a little late closing the coop up last night, and I think the coon was already inside when they shut the door. :( When I got there, I opened the door to absolute carnage. Bodies everywhere. As I was talking to my mom on the phone letting her know what was happening, I found the culprit. The damn raccoon was still in the coop! I quickly ran home (we live only about 1/4 mile apart) and got the gun. I'm not a killer and I usually take no pleasure in killing predators, but I have to admit, this kill was satisfying. I spent the morning crying and burying the poor birds, who never did anything to anyone. We raised them at our house and they were all just the tamest, sweetest girls. 😭

One little glimmer of hope...we took a dozen of the girls' eggs and popped them into our incubator. Even if they're gone, hopefully they can live on in their offspring. Sigh.

Update on the Spitzhauben...she seems to be perking up and is eating and drinking. Her one eye is in bad shape and she has a wound on her neck and a small one on her back. We will keep her separated until she heals...

Back
Top Bottom