Lost 7 hens last night :(

Im glad it didnt get them all, but i know that doesnt lessen the pain for the ones who were killed. The words "im so sorry" just dont seem sufficient. Ive had a similiar thing happen (neighbors two dogs) where i came upon the scene of carnage and slaughter. The dogs were still there "hunting" and the loss would have been much worse if i hadnt intervened. The surviving hens were Very traumatized and stressed; i spent the following two days sitting with them in their coop (they didnt want to come outside) telling them how sorry i was, but "i was glad they (the survivors) were still here." The surviving hens and i were All in a state of horror and shock.

Spend time today/tomorrow with Your survivors if u have time. ALL of you are traumatized; but hopefully you and survivors can find some comfort in each others presence.

A small update...

I caught and dispatched a second raccoon who had made its way back into the coop. Thankfully, all the hens had already been moved over to the other coop, so there were no more casualties (unless you count the coon). It's been several nights and all's quiet out there. We've moved the trap to the porch, so we'll see what we get.

Sadly, we did lose the Spitzhauben. :(

A small update...

I caught and dispatched a second raccoon who had made its way back into the coop. Thankfully, all the hens had already been moved over to the other coop, so there were no more casualties (unless you count the coon). It's been several nights and all's quiet out there. We've moved the trap to the porch, so we'll see what we get.

Sadly, we did lose the Spitzhauben. :(
Very sorry about the Spitzhauben. But glad nothing has breached the new coop. Did you notice if the raccoons were male or female? If female, there may be more lurking since females usually live in family groups. Males usually live alone except for during breeding season and sometimes in the winter months when food is more scarce.

Very interesting question. The one I actually caught red-handed in the coop was a female, I think, but not one that looked like she had been nursing kits. I'm not sure about the second one. I just shot and dumped. I really don't like doing that, but it's the coon or the chickens, and our girls (and boys) always come first.

Hopefully we've hit the end of this plague, at least for now. :fl

I dont like killing native wildlife if it can be avoided either, & depend on my lgds to keep predators away. The only predators ive ever needed to kill were coincidently a group of female raccoons. After wiping out my neighbor's entire flock of 30+ chickens, they moved in for mine. The dogs barked frantically several nights in a row, til i finally went out by flashlight and saw eyes shining up in the trees. Those coons had no intention of giving up & going away, & they paid the ultimate price for their stubborness. Caught 6 females and 1 male. After 2-3 weeks of no catches, i removed the traps. I am rural in a heavily wooded area so potential chicken killers are abundant. But as long as they fear my dogs and thus stay away from my chickens, i take the approach "live and let live."

Back
Top Bottom