Weasels..

emicoo

Hatching
Jun 27, 2023
I lost a chick (5weeks old) a week ago and assumed it was to a predator but i didn’t know what. There didn’t seem to be much struggle in the coop except for feathers inside of the chicks brooder pen inside the coop with a hole only small enough for the babies to get through, not the bigger birds. This happened when I left the door to the coop open too late by mistake. I do believe it is predator proof.

I found the culprit. I found several baby weasels underneath my coop… I’m scared they will get in, and i’m sure there’s a mom near by.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get rid of them, without risking harm to the chickens? they’re so cute but so vicious :(

You need to make sure your coop is predator proof and has 1/2 hardware cloth all over leaving no openings and vents with holes bigger than 1/2" .You also need a 1-2 foot wide apron buried around the sides to prevent them from digging inside . A couple photos of the coop would help.You can purchase weasel boxes that come with a special type of rat trap that are safe around chickens.Weasels are difficult to trap unless you use traps specifically for weasels

Back
Top Bottom