Lost 8 chickens, 1 at a time.

foofty

Chirping
May 7, 2012
home sweet home
Hi,
We lost 7 or our Rhode Island Reds(brown egg layers) and 1 rooster, RIP Rooster Cogburn!!! It happens early morning because rooster's body was still warm when found at 8a.m. Had 2 holes in the floor of our coop and it tried to pull the Rooster thru the hole in floor but left him there. His head was missing.
We have only found 2 other bodies on our property, the other 5 hens were taken away.
A neighbor with chickens lost 20 of his. He said he saw a weasel. He shot at it & missed.
I am devistated because this has never happened where this many full sized chickens were taken.
We have 5 live traps set out with cans of tuna in them, 2 had some ham slices, but nothing will go into the traps.
Our 8 banties and 1 lone brown egg layer are left&secure in a newer coop with wood floors&wood walls over insulation.
Not sure what this thing is or how to catch/trap it.
20161105_185034 (2).jpg

It could be coons, but birds lost one at a time with no trace is also something a fox would do. Weasels will kill all your birds too, but generally all at once. They go into a frenzy and keep going until nothing is left alive. Bites to the back of the head and neck.

Best bet beyond the traps you have out is to setup a game camera pointed towards where you think the predator is getting in. Knowing what it is helps with how to catch it. Also helps to know when it comes around.

i am so sorry.. i feel for you.. if you can afford a game cam, do it.. i got a Browning for like $99 on Amazon and i keep moving it, just to see what is lurking around my woods.. tho even with the best of security, we are just bound to lose some of our babies.. i have kept my girls safe from wildlife, and just recently lost my favourite hen to a domestic dog.. ermmmm...

hugs

Back
Top Bottom