Lost a chick, how/when to replace?

Attagirl

Hatching
6 Years
May 19, 2013
On Saturday we purchased 4 chicks from our local feed store and I am positive they came from a hatchery. Last night our RIR died for no explainable reason (no pasty butt, she was happy and peeping when we went to bed). We can only have four hens, so we want to replace her, but unsure if we should do it now or wait? Can we introduce just one chick, even if they are the same age? Any advice would be great, we are still a little sad that we lost Whitney. :(

On Saturday we purchased 4 chicks from our local feed store and I am positive they came from a hatchery. Last night our RIR died for no explainable reason (no pasty butt, she was happy and peeping when we went to bed). We can only have four hens, so we want to replace her, but unsure if we should do it now or wait? Can we introduce just one chick, even if they are the same age? Any advice would be great, we are still a little sad that we lost Whitney. :(
Yes. I lost 2 of my chicks out of 12 and immediately replaced them and all went fine. As long as they're the same age. I have 1 set of chicks that are 4 weeks old and chicks that are 3 weeks old. You can replace them it will be fine. As long as you don't put for example 5 week old chicks with 1 week old chicks. I did that recently and they got bullied and I had to seperate them.

may I ask what you think mite have happened to the little guy? Did you have a heat lamp to warm them.? I've had dying chicks before and put them under a heat lamp and they perk up In a matter of 15 minutes.

I have no clue what happened to her. Last night we went to bed around midnight and she was peeping, eating, drinking and perching on my husbands finger. When I went to take a look in the brooder this morning, she was stiff and almost completely buried under pine shavings. They are under a heat lamp (the heat lamp is on one side of the brooder). She was directly under the lamp when I found her. She was never as vigorous as our other three so I am not sure if she was doomed from the start or what. I am hoping it was a fluke and not something we did.

We started with 6 chicks! We are newbies ! We lost 3 We had a cold front here in NC! I brought them inside to the shed put them in a warm place , but it was to late! We are replacing them using a heat lamp at night. Keeping them inside at night! Is there anything else we Could Do ?

Back
Top Bottom