Lost a chick last night

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
I'm sad. I lost one of my Barred Rock babies last night sometime in the night. She was fine when I went to bed, but she had a little tiny dribble of white poop on her butt. It looked like regular bird poop. Then this morning when I got up at 5am, she was sort of wedged under the waterer. I'm not sure if she died of some condition or if she got trampled and smothered under the lip of the waterer. Or if she did die of a condition and was then crowded up under the waterer? I have one of those little round galvanized bases with a fruit jar as the reservoir.

Anyway, this is my first loss and it sort of makes me feel like I failed as a chicken mom. I know that it's bound to happen but I still feel bad.
sad.png

Hi
I'm sorry for the loss of your chic.
If any of your other chics have any poop on their butts try to gently remove it with a warm wet washcloth.
That may have not been the reason just try it to make sure.

How old are they?

Good luck,
Ed

Thanks LauraLu and Ed.

The chick was a week old and sort of runty. Ever since I got it home at a day old, it hasn't seemed quite right. I had just noticed the poop on it's butt last night for the first time and it still seemed fine...eating and drinking, scratching and doing chick stuff.

Another of the BPR has a poopy butt too and seems fine. I have been picking the poop off it's butt and yesterday got some of the down off with the poop so it's butt is sort of bare. But I think that's good because the poop won't stick as bad now.

I went and got some medicated feed today. All they had where I first bought feed was non-medicated chick feed. I went to a different store this time.

It's been so long since I've had chickens, I've forgotten all I used to know!! (Old age...hahaha) This forum has helped me refresh my knowledge and I'm learning so much NEW stuff. I'll just keep reading and learning!! I sure hope I learn enough to keep these chicks alive! When I had chicks before I must have had beginners luck because I never lost a chick!

Back
Top Bottom