1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lost a chicken to unknown predator, any ideas???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by moose, Aug 5, 2008.

1. moose

moose New Egg

Jul 10, 2008
    I lost one of my golden comets the other day to an unknown predator. She was found in the coop in a nest box (about 4 feet off the ground) dead. Her head and neck appeared wet or slobbery, but otherwise she was intact. The other 3 hens were untouched and fine. The only thing I can come up with is possibly a snake climbed up there and attacked while she was sleeping, but got spooked or couldnt actually eat her. These hens are semi-freeranging in an area of about 600 square feet, with dogs on 2 sides of their fence. Any ideas what did this? Thanks. I would add pic but dont know how to add to this post????

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

YUCK! Does sound like a snake! I am sorry for your loss.... [​IMG]

3. backwoods

backwoods Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    South GA
    How large was she? Snakes know what they can swallow for the most part and it would take a large snake to eat a grown hen. It is also one of they few predators that will not bring blood so it could still be a culpret.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. Steve1960

Steve1960 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Lawrence, KS
    See my post of today. Same thing, two birds in the last four days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by