Lost a hen last night

sawilliams

Songster
Nov 12, 2015
Nor Cal
Unfortunately I saw it coming yesterday and suspect it was at least partly smoke related. We live near the CARR fire in northern California and I've honestly been surprised I haven't lost more chickens due to the smoke.

Yesterday morning this hen about 4 years old was walking around and eating normally but her comb was really low almost flopped flat to one sideand slightly purple towards the back. I changed and refilled waters just in case temps have been high mynot triple digits due to the smoke. Later in the day she was resting by the main water with some improvement in her comb no purple and standing about half way. Though she let me pick her up. He crop was full but not smelly, but her rear end stunk, and she had discharge on her feathers I couldn't tell if it was egg or the whites from poop. I checked her again at night and she was roosting with the others slightly labored breathing but otherwise appeared fine, this morning she was dead under the roost she she went to sleep...

Aww... I’m so sorry. I’m interested in illnesses that present with a blue comb. Dod you know you can send the body in for necropsy to determibe cause of death? Or if you’re so inclined, attempt one yourself and post pictures here for help in identify possible cause of death?

I've never sent any of mine in yet becuase I've never had consecutive deaths. And I'm sorry I don't think I'm ready to do a necrospy myself yet.

I've been slowly losing my first 6. I think the last 2 are about done laying as it is.

Thank you, no worries though honestly. I've accepted that lose comes with owning chickens especially now that I live a little further out in the country. It's just still always a little sad. I know I could have tried to help her but part of me knows I could have just been prolonging the inevitable too. I do prefer to give them a chance but that chance really comes down to thier choice to live.

Unfortunately I saw it coming yesterday and suspect it was at least partly smoke related. We live near the CARR fire in northern California and I've honestly been surprised I haven't lost more chickens due to the smoke.

Yesterday morning this hen about 4 years old was walking around and eating normally but her comb was really low almost flopped flat to one sideand slightly purple towards the back. I changed and refilled waters just in case temps have been high mynot triple digits due to the smoke. Later in the day she was resting by the main water with some improvement in her comb no purple and standing about half way. Though she let me pick her up. He crop was full but not smelly, but her rear end stunk, and she had discharge on her feathers I couldn't tell if it was egg or the whites from poop. I checked her again at night and she was roosting with the others slightly labored breathing but otherwise appeared fine, this morning she was dead under the roost she she went to sleep...
Sorry for your loss!

So sorry for your loss it is sad but I think you took great care of her she is at peace as you say. Enjoy the girls you have and I use to live in Northern Cali and we are so sad for all the folks suffering from the fires. Be safe

I’m still confused. My hen with EYP (diagnosed by avian vet and I watched him drain egg yolk stained fluid from her abdomen) had completely different symptoms. I was not convinced the discharge was egg... sounded like it could have been urates. And the stench could be vent gleet. I also thought a blue comb might be a sign of a pulmonary or circulatory issue.
Regardless, the hen is gone, which is a bummer.

I’m still confused. My hen with EYP (diagnosed by avian vet and I watched him drain egg yolk stained fluid from her abdomen) had completely different symptoms. I was not convinced the discharge was egg... sounded like it could have been urates. And the stench could be vent gleet. I also thought a blue comb might be a sign of a pulmonary or circulatory issue.
Regardless, the hen is gone, which is a bummer.
I don't know what her cause of death was. I suspect the heavy smoke had at least something to do with it though it's possible she was already sick. She showed no other symptoms besides the limp slightly blue comb starting early in the morning, being maybe only mildly lethargic that afternoon, and the stinky rear which i didn't notice till afternoon. I don't know what the discharge was egg or other. It looked more like the white part of a regular poopy but the was also like a clear goo similar to egg whites on the feathers. She was in the best yesterday or the day before but I have a few that lay the same color so i can't confirm her eggs 100%. I have not see evidence of a shell less or broken, or indication that one might have been laid and eaten si I suspect she at least layed an egg 1-2 days ago. She had been otherwise normal until get comb went limp yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom