Lost a lot of my chicks! Help

I placed them in a larger brooder but changed the bedding to wood shavings. They're thinner than the shavings....I noticed our favorite girl sneeze. I watched her closet, she kept rubbing her beak in the ground. Then she'd neeze again

What is the source of the shavings? Are they purchased - what type of wood are they made of?

Rubbing the beak on the shavings and an occasional sneeze sounds like she is clearing her nares (nostrils) of debris (food/dirt, etc.) Chickens will rub the beak on things like pants legs:rolleyes: the ground, shavings to wipe of the beak when eating/drinking. They can also get a little food in the nostril and snort/sneeze to blow it out. So consider these things before you panic:hugs

Now...it is possible that the other chicks may have had a respiratory illness that was contagious. Some illnesses can linger in the environment for several weeks - it can be in dust, dander, feathers, your clothes/shoes and live on hard surfaces for a while. For now, if she is not showing other signs of illness, I would just keep a watch and see how it goes.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

So sounds like she may just be sneezing from the new bedding. I wouldn't have her separated.

Did you ever figure out what it was that was effecting your previous birds? Knowing that can help you discover if it is something on your land that will effect all future birds or not. Or if there is a period of time that makes it safe for reintroduction.

So if you did what everyone suggested... how did the necropsy come back? :oops:

I hope these ones don't succumb to whatever was plaguing the last bunch. Your girl that survived may not be infected per say, but she is definitely a carrier. Maybe with better resistance! Even though she is not close by, it may be lingering on your clothes type stuff. True quarantine is difficult to achieve for most people. :hmm

Pics always welcome! ;)
:fl
I chopped it up to the respiratory illness. We don' touch either back and forth. I hope it' s not the respiratory illness. I don' touch the other and then them. It' usually them, wash hands, and then change her. I am super skeptical of her in case she is a carrier. The one with the white on her head. She has the sneeze. She looks normal. 20171226_113543.jpg

Attachments

• 20171226_113620.jpg
    20171226_113620.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 8
  • 20171226_113557.jpg
    20171226_113557.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20171226_113606.jpg
    20171226_113606.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 9
What is the source of the shavings? Are they purchased - what type of wood are they made of?

Rubbing the beak on the shavings and an occasional sneeze sounds like she is clearing her nares (nostrils) of debris (food/dirt, etc.) Chickens will rub the beak on things like pants legs:rolleyes: the ground, shavings to wipe of the beak when eating/drinking. They can also get a little food in the nostril and snort/sneeze to blow it out. So consider these things before you panic:hugs

Now...it is possible that the other chicks may have had a respiratory illness that was contagious. Some illnesses can linger in the environment for several weeks - it can be in dust, dander, feathers, your clothes/shoes and live on hard surfaces for a while. For now, if she is not showing other signs of illness, I would just keep a watch and see how it goes.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
The shavings are pine wood. But their smaller than shavings. I attached pictures. They were purchased and they are from a feed store. The brand is "El caballo loco".

Respritory is not always a death sentence..My Flock has it. Many are carriers.

You are correct:)

A chicken keeper needs to determine their present and future goals before deciding whether a flock needs to be culled due to respiratory illness. If for your own use, a person can keep a closed flock and address symptoms as they arise. Sometimes culling a bird may be in order if they are severely ill. Over time future generations may appear "resistant" and symptoms will lessen - BUT birds all still remain carriers.

If planning on selling/trading/giving away hatching eggs, chicks, etc., then culling would be something to consider to help prevent the spread of illness. While a lot of respiratory illnesses are fairly common and some are not reportable (in the US), it's best to take steps in prevention. Depending on which illness, it can not only cause damage to the respiratory system, stunt growth, damage reproductive organs (like the shell gland) but can impact egg production, egg quality and hatchability. (not to mention illness like MG can be passed to offspring through the egg)

You are correct:)

A chicken keeper needs to determine their present and future goals before deciding whether a flock needs to be culled due to respiratory illness. If for your own use, a person can keep a closed flock and address symptoms as they arise. Sometimes culling a bird may be in order if they are severely ill. Over time future generations may appear "resistant" and symptoms will lessen - BUT birds all still remain carriers.

If planning on selling/trading/giving away hatching eggs, chicks, etc., then culling would be something to consider to help prevent the spread of illness. While a lot of respiratory illnesses are fairly common and some are not reportable (in the US), it's best to take steps in prevention. Depending on which illness, it can not only cause damage to the respiratory system, stunt growth, damage reproductive organs (like the shell gland) but can impact egg production, egg quality and hatchability. (not to mention illness like MG can be passed to offspring through the egg)
Can you tell me.. for people who do cull for MC/MG type stuff, is there a period of time before your place becomes no longer contagious?

You guys are great. No more symptoms I saw a piece of brown in nose. I have now let them outside and am building and outdoor coop today. Should I keep the heater outside? It drops below 40??
More cuteness! My dogs are the best moms.. lol

Attachments

• 20171228_114905.jpg
    20171228_114905.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20171228_115117.jpg
    20171228_115117.jpg
    881.5 KB · Views: 8
You guys are great. No more symptoms I saw a piece of brown in nose. I have now let them outside and am building and outdoor coop today. Should I keep the heater outside? It drops below 40??
More cuteness! My dogs are the best moms.. lol

Are they cute and your dogs looks so sweet! My dog wants to invite all mine over for dinner:rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear they are doing well, with no more symptoms. As for heat, if you feel they need a little extra for another couple of weeks I don't see why not. The best indicator is their behavior - if they are huddling and distress peeping then they do need some additional heat. Once fully feathered they should handle those temps just fine.

Thank you for the update:)

Back
Top Bottom