Lost a lovely hen today :(

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
My little Copper crossed the rainbow bridge today. She’s only my second predator loss since I started keeping chickens in 2018. It breaks my heart. I will keep everyone in the run for a while until the hawk has moved on.
I free range all day (locked at night) with 17 chickens. This is such a rare occurrence - but it breaks me. I know that they’re happiest in the meadow and forest, but they will have to handle the run for a bit.

I’m just sharing her name and pic so that she can be in your thoughts if you want. 💔

8E41AEFE-B18C-43C4-ADF3-33ECE026CE5D.jpeg
0CFF0141-CB5D-436F-B314-3641627ABEBE.jpeg

On the right with her sisters.

Last edited:
My little Cooper crossed the rainbow bridge today. She’s only my second predator loss since I started keeping chickens in 2018. It breaks my heart. I will keep everyone in the run for a while until the hawk has moved on.
I free range all day (locked at night) with 17 chickens. This is such a rare occurrence - but it breaks me. I know that they’re happiest in the meadow and forest, but they will have to handle the run for a bit.

I’m just sharing her name and pic so that she can be in your thoughts if you want. 💔

View attachment 3630221View attachment 3630225
I’m sorry for your loss :hugs. I had my favorite hen taken by a hawk a few months ago. I kept the other hens in the coop and I only let them out when I can watch them the entire time, it’s worked very well so far! Owl decoys also help a bit. ;)

So sorry for your loss. Two things that really comfort me when I lose a bird are this particular post (quoted below) and this article Dealing With Chicken Mortality (category: lighthearted humor).

Losses are very hard but I will accept a few per year if it means the bird have excellent and fulfilling lives.

I had a meeting with my flock, and gave them their choices ..... Stay in the coop/run with relative safety, or free range with a chance of being killed and eaten ..... They voted unanimously for the free range option !!!

I own many acres of very rural/wooded ground, and am surrounded by thousands more, so my predator load is quite high. I loose a few each year, despite the three dogs, and to me this is acceptable for the happiness of the birds. (Written by svh)

So sorry for your loss. Two things that really comfort me when I lose a bird are this particular post (quoted below) and this article Dealing With Chicken Mortality (category: lighthearted humor).

Losses are very hard but I will accept a few per year if it means the bird have excellent and fulfilling lives.
Thank you so much. I belive strongly in free ranging and I don’t think that 2 chickens in 6 years is an unacceptable loss rate. I also truly believe that my hens would sign themselves back up for the free ranging option everyday knowing the risk. Today still sucks though. Thank you for your help and everyone’s support on here.

My little Copper crossed the rainbow bridge today. She’s only my second predator loss since I started keeping chickens in 2018. It breaks my heart. I will keep everyone in the run for a while until the hawk has moved on.

View attachment 3630221View attachment 3630225
She was beautiful! I’m sorry for your loss. It’s so sad, I know. I just experienced my first loss, one of our Barred Rocks, to a predator. It’s awful. They really are happiest out free ranging, but sadly it’s the riskiest too. My other girls are also being kept in their run for the next several days. I hope your heart heals soon 💔🌈

Back
Top Bottom