Lost all 6 chickens today

LMH0507

Hatching
May 17, 2016
Feeling really really sad this morning. My husband and I raised six chickens from babies, had names for them, each chicken had its own personality. My husband accidentally left them out all day and night. We found all six killed this morning. One was carried away, but the rest didn't even look eatten, just killed for the fun of it. Feeling really bad we let them down :( :( :( :( My guess is that it happened during the day as they all go back in the coup at night and the eggs were untouched. So sad :(

There are always risks to free ranging. Sound like it could be a dog. Electric fencing pays for itself with not needing to replace birds.

Found a foot print about 2.5-3" by the fence (it jumped it). It looks like a coyote. For a dog to jump the fence, I would have thought the foot print to be bigger. It is suprising are no feathers in the coup. I think there were multiple as the chickens are quick to run into coup....can'this happened to my poor girls :(

I would imagine some dogs could but, I think they mainly scramble over a fence so electric near the top would make them change their mind.

Sorry for your loss.
sad.png

I agree that electric would be a good investment.

Hope your next ones can survive longer

MW

I recently had 2 chicks and a turkey killed.
steps I took were,
1. put a baby monitor in the chicken yard
2. put a motion detector in the chicken yard. keep and gun and light handy if you plan on going out at a moments notice.
3. put out multiple traps of all kinds. inside and outside of the pin. never caught him though. not yet that is
4. attached a game camera to a tree. got a pic of a coon inside the pin.
5. installed an electric wire around the top of the fence and around the trunk of a tree. its worth the few dollars it will cost you.
6. also installed a motion detection solar powered security light.
so far there has been peace of mind for myself and the critters.
best remedy is the electric fence I think.
this gives you some options. hope this helps you with some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom