Lost all but 3 adults.

Also, this weekend I ordered button eggs, darth/rebreasted, and blue face, 18 of each. I should have just enough space in the incubator for all the eggs, I’ll probably post on the HAL as well, but for those of you who do buttons and cots, what do you put the humidity at before lockdown, when you set both? I had planned to only set the buttons, but now my hand is forced, so I need to set both. The buttons should arrive in a few days. I’m setting the cots today. @Nabiki or @muddy75 , have you ever set both at once? I have the two incubators, but I’d prefer to have them in the brinsea, since the rocking is so much more successful vs the rolling.

I have incubated them both together, but I prefer to incubate them separately. The button eggs prefer a higher humidity than the coturnix. For your best hatch rates, do them separately.

The one time I did them both together, I kept my humidity low since I had more coturnix eggs in there.

I've incubated buttons and Bob's together, but moved the buttons to a hatcher for the last 3 days of incubation.
I incubate all my quail eggs at 100°F and 43% Rh and increase to 55 to 60% for the last 3 to 4 days of incubation...infact, I incubate my pheasants at the same perimeters.
As @Nabiki , says, I prefer to incubate them separately too!...sometimes theres not an option for incubating separately.

Sorry to hear of your losses! :hugs

Same here…..Prefer to incubate separately, but if you incubate together, I set the cot eggs 2 days ahead and humidity between 40 and 45 and then 55-60 @ lockdown. So sorry for your loss!!!! :hugs

Last edited:
No more dead birds today, I think the other pens are secure. I feel like it must be the doors because the large grow out is hardware cloth on a wooden frame, on the ground, with cinderblocks around it. If they dug under the others, they could dig under that one. I put traps in the now empty pens, and caught nothing, but I went to 3 different stores and no where had rat snap traps. Either it’s the supply chain issues (2 drug stores and shoprite were out of tampons too lol), or the flooding has given everyone else the same problems, but I thought for sure Home Depot would have them, no luck. I had to buy two of those prebaited plastic box traps that they can go in and can’t get out. I prefer my own bait, peanut butter and kielbasa has never failed me before, and I’m assuming it’s the crappy bait inside.

My lone scarlet survivor drinks nutridrench water when I offer it to her in a straw. I have been wrapping her in a dish towel and setting her in the bin with a pile of food by her face and she has eaten some. She has no visible injuries except a broken wing, Which I set yesterday, and it looks more normal than the other hen with a broken wing. yesterday she had diarrhea pretty severely, not so sure about today, I think she is not eating and drinking a ton so her waste has slowed down. Yesterday I wasn’t sure how severe the injuries were, she had a lot of blood all over her, and I cleaned her and looked for injuries. I didn’t find any and wrapped her in a white towel so I could see if she was bleeding, and there was no further blood. If I hold her, she can move her legs, spread the toes, and even push against my hand if I put it under her legs, but she still can’t stand. She has no bruising and doesn’t show pain if I touch and manipulate the legs. I’m hoping she freaked out and hit her head and just has to recover from the head trauma. I have some scarlet tux chicks in the grow out, but all of my solid scarlets were killed, this one even has some pied areas, but is pretty solid compared to the tuxes. I’m really hoping she makes it.

Same here…..Prefer to incubate separately, but if you incubate together, I set the cot eggs 2 days ahead and humidity between 40 and 45 and then 55-60 @ lockdown. So sorry for your loss!!!! :hugs
I thought about it, and I ordered the button eggs on Saturday and they should arrive today, the guy was very fast and helpful, so I’m assuming it will be easy to get more. The button eggs were only about $38 for 36 eggs, so I’ll risk that loss. I set up the nr360 and if the eggs arrive today, hopefully I’ll set them tomorrow. I had planned to only set buttons, and put all in the brinsea, he marked them for me, so at lockdown I was going to put one color in the nr360 and one color in the brinsea. Now they’ll all be in the nr360 the whole time.

The one that's holding its wing at an odd angle, you should try to wrap it to sit at a more natural angle for the joint - it's really tricky to do and you may need to incorporate a body wrap, but steer clear of the crop if you can or at least don't restrict it.

You said it was a break? If it's compound, give it a few weeks to start mending first, then she may need a bit of physio to regain movement in the joint and break up any scar tissue.

We regularly get birds with blunt injury and breaks at the bird rescue where I volunteer and we use cold laser therapy along with the physio as it promotes bloodflow to the area and reduces swelling. - good for arthritis in people too, so will be adding one to my arsenal at some point, though they can be a bit pricy.

The one that's holding its wing at an odd angle, you should try to wrap it to sit at a more natural angle for the joint - it's really tricky to do and you may need to incorporate a body wrap, but steer clear of the crop if you can or at least don't restrict it.

You said it was a break? If it's compound, give it a few weeks to start mending first, then she may need a bit of physio to regain movement in the joint and break up any scar tissue.

We regularly get birds with blunt injury and breaks at the bird rescue where I volunteer and we use cold laser therapy along with the physio as it promotes bloodflow to the area and reduces swelling. - good for arthritis in people too, so will be adding one to my arsenal at some point, though they can be a bit pricy.
I’ve had 2 breaks before when a possum was stalking them. Those hung low, this one sits high. The low ones I could easily wrap to lift them up. I tried yesterday and I couldn’t get a good angle and she was terrified. I looked at it today and she’s still holding it up high, and I could manipulate it without her getting distressed, as long as I didn’t try to pick her up, when I picked her up she thrashed and flailed and started throwing up water, so I’m weighing the benefits of trying to wrap it vs just letting it heal a bit off. She has no cuts and no bone sticking out, just holding it at a weird height. I’ll see how she acts as things calm down for her. A vet and professional physical therapy is not something I’m willing to spend money on, I have about 70 Quail as livestock more than pets. since she doesn’t seem distressed currently, I’ll give it some time, and if it seems like she’s in pain, I’ll cull her. But I’ve been doing my best to repair it as best as I can.

I’ve had 2 breaks before when a possum was stalking them. Those hung low, this one sits high. The low ones I could easily wrap to lift them up. I tried yesterday and I couldn’t get a good angle and she was terrified. I looked at it today and she’s still holding it up high, and I could manipulate it without her getting distressed, as long as I didn’t try to pick her up, when I picked her up she thrashed and flailed and started throwing up water, so I’m weighing the benefits of trying to wrap it vs just letting it heal a bit off. She has no cuts and no bone sticking out, just holding it at a weird height. I’ll see how she acts as things calm down for her. A vet and professional physical therapy is not something I’m willing to spend money on, I have about 70 Quail as livestock more than pets. since she doesn’t seem distressed currently, I’ll give it some time, and if it seems like she’s in pain, I’ll cull her. But I’ve been doing my best to repair it as best as I can.
Physio is easy to do yourself, it's just slow extensions and manipulation of the wing and joint - extend wing fully, then slowly move it to mimic natural flight. Kind of an up-forward, down-back rotation, focussing on the movement at the shoulder.

If the bird flinches or the wing is shaking at specific portions of the stretch, you've found scar tissue in the socket. The goal of the physio is to compress that scar tissue and free up the range of movement, so pausing and holding the stretch at that point is beneficial.

It only takes a few minutes once or twice a day and leaves them a bit sore, but is beneficial. We do this very often at bird rescue with Kereru, who are notorious for getting drunk on fermented berries and smashing into windows. I've even had to do it for a swamp harrier before.

Back
Top Bottom