Lost all but one chicken so far..Is there any truth to the Mareks resistant gene I have read about?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by revampedfashion, Jan 10, 2014.

1. revampedfashion

revampedfashion Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2013
    I have done so much reading on Mareks..I have tried all the suggestions for Helping my chickens to survive Mareks. I have lost 5 of my 6 chickens .I now only have one female turken. I will not get my hopes up too high that she will be the lone survivor...but it would certainly be nice. I worry about her being alone..she is extremely social! She talks nonstop..how will she fare by herself?!! also, does anyone know which breeds may carry that gene that may help provide natural resistance to Mareks? I have been reading about that, but have not come across any info on what breeds they are? Maybe its just wishful thinking?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have many unvaccinated chickens and I also have Marek's, but I only lose a few each year to it.

-Kathy

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm not sure about resistant breeds myself but I know YOU can breed for resistance yourself from the survivors I believe. I agree it's not good for her to be alone. Another possible option would be to vaccinate any new birds brought onto your property. If you decide to do that remember please it takes at least 3 weeks some say longer for the vaccinated bird to build the immunity and antibodies. So you would need to keep the vaccinated birds AWAY from exposure during that time. Exposure would be outside or adult birds or Mareks positive birds. Many think after vaccination they are instantly protected and this is NOT true.they need time to develop the antibodies in their system first. If you decide to go this route remember vaccine is not 100% . But it's the only protection we have as of now other than breeding for resistance. So remember to give ample quarantine time to the vaccinated birds to build antibodies should you decide to go this route.i do hope this is helpful and wish you the best.

4. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    That was my stupid question. sorry.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  5. ChicksandWeeds

ChicksandWeeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    Northern California
    Egyptian Fayoumis are said to be resistant to marek's ....they are great chickens, egg laying breed, great foragers and great moms, roosters very vigilant and get along well.

6. revampedfashion

revampedfashion Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2013
    Thankyou! I will certainly research that breed of chicken!

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    That is great information-- may I ask where you heard/read about this? I'd love to add it to my FAQ with correct sources. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by