Lost all my chickens tonight!

Quote:
Rats will kill and eat chicks and eggs; weasels eat rats.

If you do trap weasels or mink, or whatever, I recommend calling the wildlife department for instructions. I don't remember what state you are in, but our state has a website that gives information about such things. Further, when I called my wildlife department about bobcats and cougar in my yard, they were very helpful, etc.

The wildlife department can help you figure out what is killing your chickens and what the best course of action is.

Meanwhile, I recommend Rat Poison inside of bait boxes. Refill the poison daily.

Good luck!

Lost 2/3 of my flock this last winter to a Mink... here is the thread... hopefully it will be of some help to you... didn't know we had Mink either... who knew?

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=442851&p=1)

So sorry for your sad Mother's Day.
sad.png

I've had dogs do that to my flock. I've also have the normal "wild" predators that are persistent, but they haven't yet been as devastating as the neighbors roaming dogs are. A little "Jack Russell" type dog can do that in 20 minutes or less.

36435_coonthumbs.jpg

I am sorry for your loss of birds, been there many times.I live a kinda part of northwest north carolina and have seen about everything that kills a chicken. Through my own personal experience it sounds most likely a dog, predators usually only kill what they can eat and return often, a dog will just plain kill and leave them lying where ever it killed them. I have seen this several times with my own birds, and i have not seen a dog ever eat one. One of my own dogs got into a pen of my juvenile royal palm turkeys and killed all of them, a real heart breaking sight to say the least, i got rid of the dog but i still have persistent varmit troubles, but they only get what they can eat. I dont know if that helps but i have been in your situation more than once, everything loves chickens. God bless.

Quote:
Raccoons!!!
somad.gif
They will kill, just to kill. They will go in and kill as many as they can. I hate raccoons!
somad.gif
:mad::mad::mad: Also, they can use their paws like we use our hands and would be able to unhook a hook and eye latch (plus many other kinds of latches). A younger raccoon could fit through that size of an opening. It may have been more than raccoon.

I have a friend who was setting outside late one evening and saw 7 raccoons come across an open field, up through the ditch (next to the road) and head into her yard towards her chicken run/coop, chicken house. She grabbed her shotgun and managed to get all seven. Although she had to chase down the last one to get it.

I vote raccoon since it was a night when they are active. I just lost a few birds to some and they will eat the head and neck and not much else. Trapped one this morning though - revenge is sweet
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom