Lost all my hens except 1

bigchrisb1985

Songster
13 Years
Jun 2, 2009
Brookneal, VA
Late last nite or early this morning something killed all my hens but 1. From the tracks it looks like it was a large dog. I think the one hen I have left is in shock or something she is just setting there. She will get up and eat an drink but then she just goes back into the coop and sets there. And my roo has hardly any tail feathers left.

that's a shame. i hate that for you and for your lonely lady. i'm getting my first babies in a few days. i'm fretting so much about my coop & run. at first i thought it was perfect. the closer it gets to time for them to be here, the more i question if i have done enough. my run doesn't have a top & it will be difficult to put one on. it's in a pretty protected area & they will be locked up at night, but i still worry. the other worry is rats. i don't currently have a problem, but it's close to woods & i expect they will be drawn. hopefully i will have every single little bitty crack filled & blocked.
again, i'm sorry such a lousy thing happened.

Thank yall for your kind words. I think the worst part about a dog killing them is that it wasn't killing them to eat them. Its just killed them and left them there.

in 2010 i had all but 4 of my hens get killed. so 35 died. one was seriously injured but is good now but with her leg still flimsy. a few weeks ago, a dog also killed one of my hens and just left it there all ripped up and left another one hurt with eye problems. she is good now but is blind in one eye. i am so sorry about your loss. i wanted to die when all mine got killed because i loved them so much! I'm sure your one hen will be good in a few days. if she was laying don't expect eggs for awhile. to calm her down, give her some kelp mixed in with her feed.

this may seem harsh but get a gun and shoot the dog next time it comes near your chickens, as it will come back as long as you have 1 living. There is no way to break a dog from killing chickens once they start... or you can put up an electric fence around your chickens .

It doesn't sound harsh at all as soon as I found my chickens dead I sat out my 30/30 and loaded it. Now I am just waiting for it to come back. If there wasn't a garage between my bedroom window and the chicken coop I would be able to watch for the dog from there and take care of it with out even leaving the warmth of the house. I have no problem dealing with a predator last year had a possuem kill a chick after that I sat out a took care of the possums. Three in all Haven't seen any since.

I had three chickens and all of them got killed by a dog except for one which my neighbor saved because I was at school .and I fell sorry for that chicken she's not eating as much.and she's always wondering around and screaming like she's looking for them.I guess she got big fright.I missed my little babies so much I raised them from when they were babies

I'm so sorry about your loss !!! That last little one you have is probably wandering around wondering where everybody else went.
hide.gif
If I were you I'd get her some replacement
friends close to her own age as soon as you're able. It may make her transition to being the last one standing (so to speak) easier and who knows, it might even make your
grief more short lived.

Good Luck and Best Wishes for you and your chicken's future endeavors.

-kim-

Back
Top Bottom