Lost almost my whole flock of 40 to racoons

Lovemybirdsnc

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2019
I bought 40 chicks a couple years ago just lost the last one a couple days ago we've caught raccoons in with my chickens I'm down the eight chickens 2 big roosters which are game each has a hen with
20190914_105309.jpg
them and 4 small chickens who will be female on to look like males I'm pretty sure they are roosters I'm new at all this only had them chickens for a couple of years I used to have more eggs than I could eat I actually sold eggs I was having so many eggs now I'm down to do I can find one I gave her a few days maybe but raccoons have devastated my flock we've tried everything I've got them locked up pretty secure now but before this time did everything to keep the raccoons out and they can open doors just lost another big rooster three days ago anybody got any advice on how to keep these raccoons away and they're huge I guess because I got so much chicken no joke my husband came out and found three raccoons so any advice on how to keep these pests from killing my chickens??

Secure the coop and run. I use padlocks on the doors at night and carabiners during the day. Electric fence is your best option to keep out ground predators (assuming you don't have overhanging trees they could use as a bridge to avoid it). Raccoons are clever buggers. I read one story about raccoons figuring out how to climb up a pole and turn off the power to the electric fence! I keep my energizer inside the fence for this reason.

Replace the latches with the types you can lock using a carabiner.

Dukes DP coon traps work very well for me. I’ve caught four so far. I put them outside the coop near the weak points (where a coon will most likely enter). Many baits for the traps are recommended but I am have success with the fermented feed I give to my chickens, and the ants aren’t attracted to it like other baits. You will need to be prepared to kill the raccoons once caught.

Right i have possums too but im sure there are more animals that we havent seen
Replace the latches with the types you can lock using a carabiner.

Dukes DP coon traps work very well for me. I’ve caught four so far. I put them outside the coop near the weak points (where a coon will most likely enter). Many baits for the traps are recommended but I am have success with the fermented feed I give to my chickens, and the ants aren’t attracted to it like other baits. You will need to be prepared to kill the raccoons once caught.
Oh believe me i am prepared to kill them i hate those things

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea we have i didnt know if it was ok to say that on here we have shot 2 but with a pellet gun but did the trick , there are so many around here like i said my husband came out to find 3 outside at 1 time i just lost the the last of the 40 she was my favorite she would eat out of my hand it really bothered me

none of us like predators after our flocks, we do the best we can to protect them but you are within your rights if they are bothering your chickens
I heard that i hate those things they have took hen after hen like i said in my post i bought 40 about 2 years ago and they just killed the last one of my 40 i have 8 left but 4 are offspring from my game chickens and the other 4 are game birds

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest shooting them when seen, they are a predator. also keeping them inside a hot wired fence and cover your run. that will teach em to stay away. Do not leave any food or water in the coop at night as you obviously have an over abundance of raccoons to decimate your flock like that. If you cannot shoot them, talk to fish and wildlife for your area if you don't have live traps and where would be a good place to move them too that they won't be praying on peoples livestock or pets. These Jerks can climb really high and can also dig.

Back
Top Bottom