Lost an entire batch of chicks and nothing I did saved them

Chickibee

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2022
I'm going to try to be as vague as possible because it's a small world.

Since I was a child, i've always wanted a very rare particular color of silkie. They're very hard to come by, and now, finally at 30 years old, I met someone with gorgeous stock who lives about an hour from me. She typically doesn't sell eggs or chicks as she's building out this color program, but she had some extra and was so incredibly kind and sold me 8 chicks ranging in age from a week to a month, and a dozen eggs. I drive home ecstatic.

...Two days later, two wake up with swollen eyes. Like their eyes are swollen shut. I gave them the last of my remaining denagard stash from show season, (only like a teaspoon), and then start oral Tylan 50. I also put Tylan in the water. By day 2, the initial two chicks are now wheezing and gasping, i continue medicating. More chicks develop the exact same symptoms. I buy LA 200, and put that in the water. The month old chick, my favorite, becomes symptomatic, and in desperation, I even start doing IM injected tylan with her. Denagard is of course completely unavailable locally, so from the onset of first birds symptoms tuesday, my denagard arrives thursday night. I dose everyone, several birds have no symptoms yet, but more develop the same ones friday and saturday. Everyone who's symptomatic, dies by saturday night. Leaving two chicks, who died today, with no symptoms. I'm at a total loss. I'm not sure what happened. My only thoughts are MG. But they weren't sick when I picked them up, at all. I put them in with my homegrown chick, and he was one of the last to develop symptoms, and also died (cried a lot about that too--he was my first Ayam Cemani out of my own flock's eggs). I don't think the starter was moldy. I didn't see any neurological features. I'm at a complete loss and really really upset. I've had poultry for most of my life and I've NEVER witnessed anything like this.

I'm not sure what this was. If it was mycoplasma, shouldn't it have responded to the the antibiotic? Why would they have kept dying? Even the ones with no symptoms?

Meanwhile, my thermometer I usually use in the incubator flat out broke, and I had to buy a new one. The model I typically use, is out of stock. Got one that had great ratings..Turns out its 3-6 degrees off. The eggs were toasted at 106 degrees, just candled and all blood rings. Not only are all my chicks dead, but the eggs and hope of having this color finally are gone too. I murdered these chicks and ruined these valuable eggs.

Any advice? And would you tell the breeder, if it were you? I don't feel like this is her fault, and I'm scared she'll hate me or blame me for killing them.

Last edited:
That's quite a heavy blow, I'm sorry.
You didn't murder anything, now quit beating yourself up. Chances are they had a disease from the breeder, you did everything you are supposed to do. How were they housed, what did you feed them? Did you check for fumes like from a heat lamp or bedding?
I would ask the breeder if all her chicken's are well and tell her the symptoms, she might be able to help.
Then I'd figure out your incubator issues and try again.

That's quite a heavy blow, I'm sorry.
You didn't murder anything, now quit beating yourself up. Chances are they had a disease from the breeder, you did everything you are supposed to do. How were they housed, what did you feed them? Did you check for fumes like from a heat lamp or bedding?
I would ask the breeder if all her chicken's are well and tell her the symptoms, she might be able to help.
Then I'd figure out your incubator issues and try again.
Thank you, I appreciate it. My basement has been chick hospice for the last week. They were on puppy pads (what I've been using for my cemani), in a rubbermaid tub. Brooder was in the same place for the last month, which is also where he (cemani) had been living and was fine, so I don't think it was environment. It's my furnace room/laundry room, so it's plenty warm and not drafty. I use an electric hen, which he had no issues with and I've never had problems with.

She recommended they be on a higher protein starter than the regular chick starter, so I was feeding a 28% turkey starter.

I did tell her when the initial two developed their first symptoms, hoping maybe she'd have suggestions. She said none of hers have ever had anything like this. I know she uses denagard preventatively, but her flock looks healthy (and both she and I are NPIP)

They were on puppy pads (what I've been using for my cemani), in a rubbermaid tub. Brooder was in the same place for the last month, which is also where he'd been living and was fine, so I don't think it was environment. It's my furnace room/laundry room, so it's plenty warm. I use an electric hen, which he had no issues with and I've never had problems with.

She recommended they be on a higher protein starter than the regular chick starter, so I was feeding a 28% turkey starter.

I did tell her when the initial two developed their first symptoms, hoping maybe she'd have suggestions. She said none of hers have ever had anything like this. I know she uses denagard preventatively, but her flock looks healthy (and both she and I are NPIP)
hmm, that all sounds normal. did you consider sending any off to a state lab for a necropsy?

hmm, that all sounds normal. did you consider sending any off to a state lab for a necropsy?
No, I know a local vet that does chicken necropsies (my initial cemani roo had heart failure), but they are so tiny there's not much to see, and they're $100 a necropsy.

Thats prolly why they didnt sell chicks or eggs they know their birds are carriers as ther is no cure for mg meds hides the symptoms until stress brings it right back out again and mg is also transferred through hatching eggs

Thats prolly why they didnt sell chicks or eggs they know their birds are carriers as ther is no cure for mg meds hides the symptoms until stress brings it right back out again and mg is also transferred through hatching eggs
They sell all their other colors as chicks and eggs, haven't ever had an issue. It's just this color they aren't selling yet bc they are building up their program.

The other thing is everything i've read is MG is highly susceptible to Denagard/Novartis, tiamulin hydrogen fumarate--if that was it, why didn't the chicks respond at all?

They sell all their other colors as chicks and eggs, haven't ever had an issue. It's just this color they aren't selling yet bc they are building up their program
Well if it was me i wouldnt be buying more from them again, then again This is the reason I do not buy peoples birds.

I'm so sorry. I think you covered all the bases medically! Were they eating? Do you think they had coccidiosis as well? Could it have been viral? I do think your best bet is/was to mail a chick to a lab. Then there's no more guessing. If you have a dead one wrap them in plastic and put them in the fridge. Look up your state animal disease lab, fill out the form, and follow the instructions for mailing a dead bird. What I also do is buy a few styrofoam containers (in boxes), ice packs so I have one or two on hand and it makes it far easier when you have it all available.

I have had 7-8 in 10 years that I needed to know what they had for the safety of the others. Some labs do the chickens at a reduced rate by testing what they need to. Call them.

I broke a golden rule once and paid for it. I bought a hen and brought her home. She spread Marek's and I lost many chickens. So keep a closed flock. Only hatch your own, buy from a hatchery, or buy eggs to hatch.

A Necropsy by a lab would be the way to go. Of course, you may not have the chicks anymore, and that isn't possible.

So, Other possibilities to consider, beyond illness. The furnace room. Could there be any environmental issues like a very minor gas leak or carbon monoxide? Are there bugs down there that might bite them (like spiders)? Is there enough moisture that there could be some mold or similar in that airspace?

How are they getting warmth? Are you using a heating plate? if so, then they can come and go as they please, and that should not be causing any issues. If you are using a heat lamp, are you using one rated for use with livestock? If not rated for livestock use, the bulb may have a teflon coating on it, which produces deadly fumes for livestock. This can kill an entire flock very quickly in an enclosed space, but if there is enough ventilation, might only cause illness. However, I would think this possibility is less likely to be the cause of your issues.

Back
Top Bottom