lost and found

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by emilygreen87, Mar 17, 2017.

1. emilygreen87

emilygreen87 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    HELP!! I thought my chickens weren't really laying much because of the season change. well, today I found about 80 eggs and have no idea how long they have been there! how long are they good for?? I did the "float test" and not one of them actually floated, however, some were very fragile and broke easily. should I just get rid of all of them??

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Yes get rid of them.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. It would be safer to dispose of them, or maybe boil them and mash up the hard boiled egg and feed it to your girls - they will love it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It would be better just to dump them

5. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Lion Breeding Master Premium Member

May 17, 2015
    LioDen
    Welcome to the ultimate Clan, Club, and sometimes Conundrum of Chicken Lovers!
    Sorry to hear about your hens stashing their eggs away; but as previously stated, it would be best to not use them for human consumption- the hard-boiling as a treat for your hens is a tried-and-True treat with my hens! :thumbsup
    All of birds are all part of one massive, unanimously-beloved flock on BYC- and we can't wait to assist in any way possible!
    We're glad you're here!!!
    :jumpy Wings of Wishes, :jumpy
    ~Sarah

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under emilygreen87 [​IMG] Welcome!

Put me down as vote for dumping them also .. not worth the risk.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas emilygreen87, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Looks like you've already received some great advice and links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

8. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    Hi Emily, welcome to BYC from Illinois. I couldn't help but laugh, as the same thing happened to me. Only it was a clutch of 30 or so duck eggs, found this morning IN MY COMPOST PILE. I also had a chicken who would escape daily and lay her eggs in a tree stump in the neighbor's yard. The birds, they do funny things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by