Lost and Sad and need any type of answers to what we did wrong

Cberry169

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2022
Im at a loss right now . We came home on June the 7th to the tiniest baby wood duckling in our yard and we fell in love took care of her as much as we could . We noticed earlier on that she wasn’t walking right after she gotten a little bit bigger took her to the vet to find out that she had to abnormal hips and that’s why she did t walk or stand up right.. But we loved her and decided to try to give her a good life . We all thought she was doing good other then not walking normal.. And here I am crying like a child because all off the sudden this morning she was acting weird.. Picked her up and she was just kinda lethargic and tried to stimulate her some with water but that did very little she kinda leaned and just floated a little and dabbled her beautiful beak in the water so I got her out and dried her off and she started to flail her wings a lil and started to twist her neck and then she just passed away in my arms! I’m s lost on how this happened or what went wrong I’m so lost I really am .. I know most say she was just a duck BUT this baby was my baby since she was a day old … I’m trying my best to figure out what went so wrong would love ideas insight anything at this point she literally was playing and all yesterday talking to us when we came in to the room where she was very active.. eating drinking and I’m just LOST I miss her so she made me so happy when I needed it the most…

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs
Maybe you should get some ducks?
It's hard to know exactly what happened without doing a necropsy and I know you may not want to do that.
No definitely am not going to get more ducks .. She was a one of a kind.. She didn’t know she was a duck.. She loved to sleep on her back with us rubbing her belly and loved to give nibbles and loved to be held and loved on.. She was very much loved in our home and that’s what’s so heart breaking… I just wish I could understand what had happened I mean she seemed healthy as much as she could but this just out the blue happened.. lethargic spasm of the neck and then pass away unexpectedly?? It’s no rhyme or rhythm and the hats what makes it gut wrenching!

I just wish I could understand what had happened I mean she seemed healthy as much as she could but this just out the blue happened..

Sorry for your loss. :hugs
I don't know anything about ducks, but with chickens, when they are born with visible disabilities, they most often have other deformities going on inside as well. They seldom have a very long time to live. Don't beat yourself up, it's not anything that you did wrong.

Sorry for your loss. :hugs
I don't know anything about ducks, but with chickens, when they are born with visible disabilities, they most often have other deformities going on inside as well. They seldom have a very long time to live. Don't beat yourself up, it's not anything that you did wrong.
I’m just lost on what happened… She seems fine yesterday we had her in our bathroom and she had her wings outstretched flapping them where her feathers were all coming in and seems so happy other then when we would show her reflection in the mirror.. she didn’t like that at all never had she didn’t know she was a duck and she was a baby to me and I’m heart broken there has to be something we done wrong and missed.. I just wish we could get a do over so I could see her beautiful lil self again she was really the sweetest thing you ever could see!

Back
Top Bottom