Lost another hen...

HuevosModesto

Chirping
Aug 21, 2018
This is death #2, in about a 2 month period. She was fine this morning, and then this evening she was face down in the grass and lethargic. I tried to check her egg vent, but I didn’t feel anything (and I don’t really know what to feel for). Ultimately, I put her down- could this be a illness in the dirt? Sickness that has taken 2+ months to manifest? Something I’m doing?

I checked for mites on her legs and body- none. She did feel thin, but she was still young. I’m at a loss, please help.

I feel for you. I lost a young hen about a month ago and then a 8 week old last week. The first I scratched my head thinking it was the heat and humidity. The second I ran out and got Corid. I've been treating my girls for 5 days now and I am holding my breath. Because so many of the illnesses have similar symptoms it is a difficult. Have you checked out the poop situation of your other girls? Can you get a sample to your vet? How are your other girls behaving? Anybody with a pale comb, poopy butt or a little unsociable?

This is death #2, in about a 2 month period. She was fine this morning, and then this evening she was face down in the grass and lethargic. I tried to check her egg vent, but I didn’t feel anything (and I don’t really know what to feel for). Ultimately, I put her down- could this be a illness in the dirt? Sickness that has taken 2+ months to manifest? Something I’m doing?

I checked for mites on her legs and body- none. She did feel thin, but she was still young. I’m at a loss, please help.

I just lost a chicken too.....same MO! I found he tucked in next to the feed can, checked her for physical issue....nothing. She died within 5 minutes. I have a cement floor so no dirt issues and I use bales of wood shavings for deep bedding. No answers as to cause!

I'm sorry for your loss.
Sometimes the only way to find out the cause of death is through testing/necropsy. If you still have the body, refrigerate it and send it to your state lab.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

How old are the chickens?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
How are they housed?

I'm sorry for your loss.
Sometimes the only way to find out the cause of death is through testing/necropsy. If you still have the body, refrigerate it and send it to your state lab.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

How old are the chickens?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
How are they housed?

Chickens are 8-9 months, Food is Purina Layena pellets, snacks are scratch grains and occasional meal worms. Housing is an Eglu Cube with 6 meter run.

I disposed if her body already, I can’t get to the state lab in a reasonable time frame.

Back
Top Bottom