Lost another one - year old duck

Djjwelch

Hatching
Mar 13, 2020
So, I just lost another duck. I went out to the pond to put them in their coop and saw one floating in the water. I went and fished her out and turtles had eaten about a 1/4 of her, so she had been dead a few hours I'm guessing. There were no wounds on her legs, so I don't think a turtle pulled her under. I'm assuming they started on her after she was already dead.
About a week or two ago I lost one that I found alive, but half drowned at the edge of the pond. She had labored breathing and died within an hour of me taking her in. She had no wounds anywhere. My flock is all 1 year olds.
My flock was 2 blue runners, one male and one female, and 8 khaki campbells, one male and 7 females.
What is killing my girls!?!?!?!

So, I just lost another duck. I went out to the pond to put them in their coop and saw one floating in the water. I went and fished her out and turtles had eaten about a 1/4 of her, so she had been dead a few hours I'm guessing. There were no wounds on her legs, so I don't think a turtle pulled her under. I'm assuming they started on her after she was already dead.
About a week or two ago I lost one that I found alive, but half drowned at the edge of the pond. She had labored breathing and died within an hour of me taking her in.
My flock was 2 blue runners, one male and one female, and 8 khaki campbells, one male and 7 females.
What is killing my girls!?!?!?!
Where are you in the world?

so you basically had no problems before this? except for the other one who you found. Like no food problems?
No, we've never had any food problems. They've always gotten quality soy free, organic layer feed. They're just over a year old. They've been on the pond every day since last fall. Nothing has changed.

Also, they've been on the pond for almost 6 months with no incidents, and we've had 2 within like 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom