LOST ANOTHER!!!! - *UPDATE 2* HELP with SKUNK smell

Banana peeling works great with skunks. If you have cats in the area you can try fruit punch flavored jolly ranchers or oatmeal cream pies will work for skunks and coons.

Quote:
Yummy...I haven't had a oatmeal cream pie in many, many years....didn't realize I missed them
smile.png

SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks for the baiting help!! EVERYONE!

This is how it went down: My wife who has 10 too many horses has an infrared camera she uses for the mares when they are about to foal. So I rigged it up to watch the barn coop and entry way. It plays 24/7 on one of our old TV’s with the little remote gizmo hooked up to the TV to receive the signal. It is also motion sensitive so the screen will flash when it picks up motion. SO..... Since we live in the country we have some special home protection items near the bed because when seconds count the cops are minutes away!!! (Our County Sheriffs are Good Guys but its true and they know it).

Now since we have the horses they do not like loud noises at night so I purchased an item that goes on to the end of this item and it makes for a very very quiet and accurate way of quickly dispatching these Barn Terrorists.

Well it happened the screen started flashing and the beeper went off. I am up and looking at the screen and.....nothing! Crap...what’s going on? Then I started seeing chickens flapping and jumping around. Grab the head lamp and my lead dispenser and I am off... I get to the barn and the hens are not happy at all, Roosters are cackling the horses are kicking the stalls ...pandemonium!!! OK where is it?? Now I am thinking Raccoon and making quick movements around the barn, its 90x65 lots of area to cover. If I would have taken the time and watched the screen a little more to identify the intruder I might have been ....no I know I would have been much slower with my movements and taking corners. I rounded a corner and ....what was that? Did I see strips? ooohhh ooohhh SKUNK!. Now I don't know how far a skunk can spray but I was not going to find out! I want to be in front of this thing not behind it so I reverse course and go around the outside of the barn to cut him off. I have to cover about 90 feet and when I get there ...no skunk! Crap where is he? Now I am playing the waiting game because I am not going in after this guy, not with the possibility of getting nailed by Pepe. Then............movement coming at me, right at me. What is in his mouth? Egg!. He sees me and Freezes. Now I have to tell you I am into gadgets. I have a special headlamp on made by Fenix. It has 200 lumens of power and a strobe function. This was designed into these lamps to disorient anything looking at it. People, dogs and yes skunks. It is like being on a dance floor with the strobe going off only with 200 lumens which is absolutely blinding. Pepe sees this and freezes, does not move a muscle. I am on him. Now I have been told be countless people, when shoootinnn skunks you gotts to aims for his head that away he won't be able to spray because you cut that connection off. Cross hairs are on Pepe, perfect angle the round will go right through him into the the dirt. Squeeze........FUUMMMMPPPPPP no movement and better yet NO SMELL. I am from the camp of one is none and two is one so sight, acquire fire ...FUUMMMMPPPPPP still no movement. YES! No more eating my eggs and killing my chicks,,,, PEPE is down for he count, Skunk heaven and all the chic.............oooooohhhhhooooooohhhhhh. YEP, guess who got the last laugh.

Now this whole time someone else was watching this go down on the TV in the bedroom. The camera was able to let her see Pepe in the door way when he was playing backstop for the subsonic rounds. At this point I am backing away from the barn door quickly then I see the house door open and I am expecting to here a congratulatory "YEAH, YOU GOT HIM" ...........but what came out was "That thing better not have sprayed in my horse barn" ...........If anyone has every smelled a skunk at close range not the normal road kill variety smell but the eye watering, gagging, unmanageable putrid ......ok....you get the picture. Well the house is down wind of the barn at this point. So after I here the first comment ....wait for it ...wait for it....yep, Oh Yeah it hits her like a ton of bricks.......I here this word that reminds me of "GAWL DARNIT" followed closely by a slamming door.

Well I did make it back in the house, just took me a while. I hope you enjoyed this and I have included a PIC of Pepe and yes the barn still stinks after 3 days. I hope I don't have to remove any of the stall he sprayed on.

Last edited:
Sorry about the chickens....sorry about the skunk...so glad it won't be on anymore rampages......
Maybe if you spray the affected area with the baking powder,lemon scented dish detergent and peroxide it will cut the smell/oils. Works wonders on my dogs!

Back
Top Bottom