Lost four chickens yesterday - LOST them!

Piper1998

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Went out to the coop yesterday at dinner time and found three leghorns and one old lady speckled Sussex missing. No evidence at all of struggle except the red Velcro leg band from one of the leghorns lying in the run - still in the closed position. We're in Upstate NY and there was absolutely no sign of a struggle other than the leg band. I know we have a pack of coyotes nearby as I can hear them screaming at night during the summer months. How the heck did they get into the run, though, and get out again? The coop is a modest but strong, newly-built affair with hardware fabric buried around the perimeter. The run is a 10' X 20' chain-link with a latching door and hardware fabric buried 1' around the perimeter. It also has aviary netting on top. When I discovered the loss I did note that the latch on the fence door was "off" a bit, but the door was still closed. I'm thinking human or coyote, but can't believe any human would do it because we live out in the country and the coop is well back from the road - about an acre. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

If no sign of forced entry and no evidence of struggle I am thinking very possibly human and it happens more often than one would think....

Friend of mine years back had a homeless fellow taking eggs and a neighbor down the road had several birds taken a few years ago.

Hmmmmmm....... lookin' at my neighbors with a whole new outlook. We've only lived here for a year; moved from the burbs, and I don't really know the neighbors all that well. I admit, though, that I didn't do a headcount when I locked them in the coop the night before, but I don't think I've had them out of the run and unattended in several days. My hubby is home today and will do a more thorough perimeter check than I did yesterday. I might have more evidence later today. Thx for weighing in, all!

If no sign of forced entry and no evidence of struggle I am thinking very possibly human and it happens more often than one would think....

Friend of mine years back had a homeless fellow taking eggs and a neighbor down the road had several birds taken a few years ago.

If that's the case, then the poor culprit is welcome to them. He or she will be pretty unimpressed with the old lady bird because she's neither laying nor tasting very good at her age. And I've got to say that those leghorns are awesome layers, but not too tasty on the table.

I'll miss the old lady bird; she kept my flock in line since the boys all went to freezer camp last month. Ah well ... chickens is chickens. I'll know enough to hatch more than I need for next year if I'm sharing with a squatter.​

GREAT THOUGHT
thumbsup.gif

nice to share

but they could have asked first
idunno.gif

lets hope you find them or someone needed them more:confused:

Quote:
If that's the case, then the poor culprit is welcome to them. He or she will be pretty unimpressed with the old lady bird because she's neither laying nor tasting very good at her age. And I've got to say that those leghorns are awesome layers, but not too tasty on the table.

I'll miss the old lady bird; she kept my flock in line since the boys all went to freezer camp last month. Ah well ... chickens is chickens. I'll know enough to hatch more than I need for next year if I'm sharing with a squatter.

I love your attitude as well as your signature line!
thumbsup.gif

I love your attitude as well as your signature line! thumbsup

Thx, sgtmom. Am I guessing correctly by your forum name that you've got some military background?​

Back
Top Bottom