Lost Gambel quail . Frightened and flew away

Joeysmom

Chirping
Jun 26, 2022
I think I am just looking for a little good. My sweet Joey who I have raised since she was one day old has gotten lost. A hawk scared her while we were in the backyard and she flew off and over the wall . I spent 4 hours calling for her and looking for her. I know they don’t have a homing sense to them . But has anyone ever had their quails come back to their home? I am calling and calling . It will be cold tonight :( my princess is spoiled . Just praying she comes back . 🙏🏼

Thank you everyone for the advice and positive wishes! My girl made it home ! Out all night . She was wandering down the sidewalk ! She is a tough princess I have found out. I am so happy 😃

Attachments

• D4044303-FE12-4E01-9B64-CEA3BB2B2AAC.jpeg
    D4044303-FE12-4E01-9B64-CEA3BB2B2AAC.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 40B5001C-5B39-455B-943F-56269CD4B394.jpeg
    40B5001C-5B39-455B-943F-56269CD4B394.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 8
Do you hear her answering you when you call? Does she know the neighborhood well enough to find her way home? They usually don't go far. Don't give up. Calling for her will help her find her way home.

My gamble sometimes goes outside, but she always comes home at night. If I get worried about her and call for her she always answers me and usually comes running home.

There is hope. She will try to find her way back home. Please keep us posted!
Thank you. Yes , she knows my voice. I spent several hours until dark calling for her and walking the area. Headed back out this morning. Had two dreams I found her!

As what raingarden has suggested, it would be a lot easier if Joey had another companion Gambels quail - as the other one will call her back. When you say you are calling, what do you mean? Do you mean "Joey, here Joey" or were you referring to using an audio "chi-ca-ca-go"? Your best bet would be using an audio "chi-ca-ca-go". It should help you locate her and/or help her come back. If she's used to flying often when she's around you, then she should fly back when you call her. If she's been a ground bird and rarely used her wings, she'll just be pacing back and forth behind that wall trying to get back (if she heard you).
I use her name as she knows my voice and also the Chicago call. With my voice and an audio. She does fly as I rehabbed a song bird and they flew to the trees together , so she thinks she’s normal bird lol . I am starting to think something may have happened right away. As she always responds to my voice.
She was not a planned pet as she wandered into my kitchen at 1 day old . But quickly became one of the family .

Attachments

• 6279A609-BC6E-43A1-98AA-C513A8CA7467.jpeg
    6279A609-BC6E-43A1-98AA-C513A8CA7467.jpeg
    537.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 6DFEC704-1AF5-4DD6-AA17-0DC289953ACE.jpeg
    6DFEC704-1AF5-4DD6-AA17-0DC289953ACE.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 8
O that's so great!! :wee
Thank you so much for the update! I have been worried about her all day! (I know how worried I get when my sweetheart is out too long, esp overnight - which has only been twice in the last 3.5 years.)

O that's so great!! :wee
Thank you so much for the update! I have been worried about her all day! (I know how worried I get when my sweetheart is out too long, esp overnight - which has only been twice in the last 3.5 years.)
Thank you. Yes, her first time out all night! Thought for sure the hawk had got her . Had a celebratory drink tonight :)

Back
Top Bottom