Lost most of our chickens, thinking botulism, just strange

Minnesota- we haven't had any really hot weather yet - little warm and humid, nothing that should take out the chickens!

Do a quick search on buffalo gnats. Several seasoned members have lost entire flocks to the gnats in short order, just like you. Buying a screen gazebo (the cheapo kind) may be your only hope, short of keeping them enclosed in the coop and putting screen on the windows. It's really a BAD year and the gnats suffocate them by getting in the airway, while they also suck them dry.

I'm sorry you lost so many birds!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I just let my last three out - figured we can see what happens....they are acting terrified. Running for cover..........odd, odd, odd............................

Quote:
If they are running for cover, it likely has to do with the gnats. They don't like dark and the chickens will seek dark to get away from them. Bring them in the house or you will lose them, too.

Brought them back into the shed........not going to be much fun for them for awhile it seems. One of them has green droppings as well. We'll see if we shake out of all of this.

Are you anywhere near a state lab or vet school? They usually do necropsies free or for a very reduced fee for chickens. Call your vet; they may be able to help, or send the body to the state lab. Since it's so many birds, you really HAVE to figure this out. Our guessing for you won't help.
Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Quote:
Toss in a few apples and some bird seed so they get a change of pace while confined. Look at SteveH's posts about his problems with this plague of gnats. There have been other members up your way with them...it's so sad. Vanilla splashed on top of their heads will help a lot, but must be reapplied.

The gnats hate dark, so any shade and screening you can offer them will help.

Best of luck!

Thanks all for the help!
Quite a week, going to keep the 3 left inside till the gnats go away.

My ladies have been super stressed by the heat and also from the gnats (if they leave the dark, cool barn where I'm running fans) and they've had green watery poo, for what it's worth. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom