My ducks were attacked - one severely injured

I got a better picture of his worse eye. It’s better than before though. And a happy picture of him playing in the water dish.
142D5204-176F-43C5-9DF6-0CCA7B21DFA6.jpeg

4C7F2CC5-B5D9-417F-B65D-1EB612F6D446.jpeg

Hopefully it will clear up with the meds your using in the eyes.
So good to see him playing.
His eyes look so much better this evening! The white spot on one eye is half the size it was this morning. Honestly I didn’t expect such an improvement.

I think I’m going to move Griffin and his buddies pen closer to the rest of the flock. I’m not sure because my khaki Campbell baby drakes all look so similar - but I think that Griffin may be the best friend of one of my other young drakes, Div. Div was inseparable with a duckling I called Coriander when they were younger, but then I lost track of which one was Coriander. Div has been acting shyer and a bit sad, so maybe he’s missing him. Or maybe he’s just generally stressed out.

This is Div.
1BCCF57F-0F6E-440F-86A6-9456DD4F7C4E.jpeg

I gave all the ducks frozen peas today to try to cheer them up.

Div is gorgeous.
Great to hear your seeing improvement in Griffins eyes. Sure won't hurt to try the 2 togher and see if it cheers both up.

No more sightings of Mongoose? Are they a big population there?
I did hear my mother’s free range Guinea fowl making a fuss yesterday so I ran out with the dogs and the dogs acted like there was a mongoose around. Unfortunately there is a huge mongoose population here. They are everywhere and even if you trap them all, more will come to the area. But I’ve got 2 traps set out the last few days and haven’t caught anymore. Maybe because of me and my dogs spending so much time patrolling the area.

It is unusual for a mongoose to be so bold and attack a duck like that though. So I’m hoping that we got the most dangerous one. Of course I won’t let my guard down and will keep trapping, etc. I had my ducks in the same area with the same electro net fence for 2 years and had no problem, and never even had an egg stolen by mongoose that I know of. Now I’m too scared to use electronet fences for my ducks anymore

In the first picture, the duckling to the right is Cherry Tomato. His white throat marking does look a bit like Speck’s. In the 2nd picture, Speck is in the back. I think Speck is a bit jealous because when I’m giving attention to Griffin she hangs back and stares at me

Griffin is doing great. One eye still has a white speck and the other is a little cloudy in the corner but I’m hopeful that will continue to improve. He prefers eating out of my hand although he will also eat out of the dish. He might be a girl, I don’t know. When I was putting in his eye drops he was squawking in protest and some of his angry noises sounded pretty quackish.

I’m planning on putting Griffin back with the flock in a few days if he’s still doing well and if he no longer needs eye drops. He seems pretty happy with his little group but I wonder if he misses his friends, especially Div.

Back
Top Bottom