Lost My Ameracauna

I think on the 6x3 run for 11 that’s a bit small for sq ft. Might be time to increase run space. General rule of thumb is 10 sq ft per bird. Some will recommend a minimum of 5 sq ft per bird in the run but this is still a bit small you will find. I also don’t let mine out unless home working outside to watch.

I think you are fine with coop space as about 4 sq ft per bird is just right but still need the run space as recommended. They are considered separate when configuring space requirements. Just FYI!

Sorry for your loss. That's a real bummer. We only do supervised free ranging for that reason. And I usually keep the dogs out with them. I know one day my roosters went nuts and my female dog was fixated on a tree. As I approached the tree the dog leaped into the air an nearly caught a enormous dark blueish black raptor(I think it was a falcon) that had flown out when I walked towards it.
Hope you your girls stay safe. Perhaps you can hang some old cds in your trees... I've heard that can discourage them from coming down into your yard.

Hawks have been protected by the Feds for so long they (mostly) have no fear of mankind, supervise at your own peril in my experience.

I have 5 now, and their she shed is good sized. We can fashion a run for them, it's pretty cold here now and they might just prefer the warmth of the shed. I did order some owl decoys, hoping they will help.

Sorry for your loss. That's a real bummer. We only do supervised free ranging for that reason. And I usually keep the dogs out with them. I know one day my roosters went nuts and my female dog was fixated on a tree. As I approached the tree the dog leaped into the air an nearly caught a enormous dark blueish black raptor(I think it was a falcon) that had flown out when I walked towards it.
Hope you your girls stay safe. Perhaps you can hang some old cds in your trees... I've heard that can discourage them from coming down into your yard.
I have cds, a scarecrow we call hawkeye and now owls. The girls were let out for the firs time since Monday today, hoping for the best

I have cds, a scarecrow we call hawkeye and now owls.
Those will not deter predator for long, if at all......they need a secure run with a roof(mesh or solid).
Take the owls back and spend that money on building materials.
upload_2018-11-17_16-51-55.png

Back
Top Bottom