Lost My Ameracauna

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wenwar, Nov 13, 2018.

1. wenwar

wenwar Chirping

Apr 22, 2018
    Temperance, Michigan
    Last Friday I couldn't find my Ameracauna, Sansa. The previous day my neighbor saw both 'caunas on the wrong side of the fence and put them back in, so I thought she'd jumped again and that she'd come home. Well...not so lucky. My boxer, Grace, found her at the back fence. It looked like whatever got her (a hawk, I'm thinking) didn't get much, she was pretty intact. I am so sorry! So, now the girls are in their she shed for a week, I'm hoping the hawk or whatever will forget they're here. The girls are UNHAPPY!!! Anything I can do to make their confinement better?

2. NoFlyBackFarm

NoFlyBackFarm Crowing

Aug 6, 2018
    Pilesgrove, New Jersey
    You could give them chicken toys? Stuff treats into something and let them play with it
    I'm sorry for your loss:hugs

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw -Contemplating-

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama ♥️
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss! :hugs It’s always hard to loose a member of the flock!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Supervised free range later in the day might help.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Also, cover your run, so they can be in it and still safe from raptors.
    Mary

Melky and Ducksandchickens like this.
  6. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Crowing

Apr 24, 2018
    North Western Ohio
    X2
    Sorry for your loss :hugs:hugs:hugs

wenwar and Melky like this.
  7. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    Oh bummer - so sorry for your loss :hugs:hugs
    x3 - at least they get some time out and you can keep them safe.

8. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    :cafI would have a covered attached run for them to provide weather and predator protection. All vented and run areas should have 19 g 1/2 inch hardware cloth and a 2ft apron around coop/run of the same. Sorry for the loss:(!

wenwar likes this.
  9. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    Just another comment. If I see hawks about my girls stay in covered fenced run. My dog tends to scare them off the property. Good Luck! I like to provide homemade seed cakes with dried mealworms for a treat once in awhile. Gives them lots of fun. I also provide a hanging treat ball with greens in it. They love the fun.

10. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crowing

Nov 2, 2018
    I bought a 6 by 3 run and I have 11 chickens in it, it is sheltered to protect them from eagles and foxes
    We get foxes most of all and we struggle with keeping them out during the day. I found that I couldn’t deal with it getting my hens all the time and the last straw for me was when it got my poor partridge silkie pebbles
    You have to decide where you stand with it all and when enough is enough for you, I still let mine supervised free range but not when I am not here....
    Maybe try to leave them in their coop for a little bit, how many hens do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: