Lost My Ameracauna

wenwar

Chirping
Apr 22, 2018
Temperance, Michigan
Last Friday I couldn't find my Ameracauna, Sansa. The previous day my neighbor saw both 'caunas on the wrong side of the fence and put them back in, so I thought she'd jumped again and that she'd come home. Well...not so lucky. My boxer, Grace, found her at the back fence. It looked like whatever got her (a hawk, I'm thinking) didn't get much, she was pretty intact. I am so sorry! So, now the girls are in their she shed for a week, I'm hoping the hawk or whatever will forget they're here. The girls are UNHAPPY!!! Anything I can do to make their confinement better?

:cafI would have a covered attached run for them to provide weather and predator protection. All vented and run areas should have 19 g 1/2 inch hardware cloth and a 2ft apron around coop/run of the same. Sorry for the loss:(!

Just another comment. If I see hawks about my girls stay in covered fenced run. My dog tends to scare them off the property. Good Luck! I like to provide homemade seed cakes with dried mealworms for a treat once in awhile. Gives them lots of fun. I also provide a hanging treat ball with greens in it. They love the fun.

I bought a 6 by 3 run and I have 11 chickens in it, it is sheltered to protect them from eagles and foxes
We get foxes most of all and we struggle with keeping them out during the day. I found that I couldn’t deal with it getting my hens all the time and the last straw for me was when it got my poor partridge silkie pebbles
You have to decide where you stand with it all and when enough is enough for you, I still let mine supervised free range but not when I am not here....
Maybe try to leave them in their coop for a little bit, how many hens do you have?

Back
Top Bottom