Lost my favorite girl, Whiskey.

joskt0204

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
east TN
My son got an egg from our chicken tractor at about 4 p.m. We ran out to do some errands and got back home about 5 p.m. I went out to feed the chickens and noticed Whiskey was missing. I checked the nesting box first, thinking maybe she was ready to lay. She was in the nesting box, beheaded. Her neck was all exposed, as was her chest, but her body was complete. There were a lot of feathers around. The nesting box area of my chicken tractor is tiny. Small ramp up, opening just big enough for a chicken, and only about 16" tall. What would do this, in such a small area, in broad daylight? I'm in east TN.

Oh, I am so sorry - No idea what would have done this during the day like that. Seems like a fox would have taken the entire chicken.

We lost a young girl this month to what I'm guessing was a coon and I still feel sad when I think of her. Hope you find the culprit.

There's definitely not room for a fox to get into the nesting box. I'm thinking possum (weird during the day though), skunk, or what? Cat, maybe? Whiskey was such a great little girl.

maybe an opossum, I don't think a cat would have just taken her head, plus if she is a large hen a cat likely would not have gone after her anyway. Very strange during the day, hopefully you don't have any sick wild life around! Was she alive when your son collected eggs?

Yes, Whiskey was outside running around when he collected the egg. They are only about 23 weeks old, and we just had the four pullets. Whiskey was by far my most careful and spooky chicken - I really didn't think she'd be the one to get caught.

We do have a feral cat that hangs around in the woods behind our house. I have never seen a possum or raccoon out during the day (well, I haven't even seen a raccoon around here). We do have skunks. I don't really know how to prevent this from happening again. I can move the tractor further from the woods and closer to the house.

probably a small coon. sounds like a young one going on a killing streak. sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom