Lost my first chicken.. PIC (Somewhat Graphic)

awtandrocks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Florida
Well this is a bummer.
I forgot to lock my chickens up last night for only the second time since I've had them and now ones dead today!
Honestly I don't know if it was during the night or not because the way my coop is designed they go thru the covered run thru a 16" x 16" pop door and up onto a 4' roost each night and the other 7 hens and one rooster are fine???

I usually drop the pop door every night so they are enclosed in a solid structure with hardware cloth windows and don't let them free-range until noon till dusk.

I realized they weren't locked up when I was eating breakfast and they started yodeling outside they window, when I went out and fed them then I didn't verify how many there were because I just figured one of them was probably in the nest boxes and only figured it out now when i actually started looking.

Here is a picture of it... Its head was intact but folded under its body, and the ants have already gotten to it so I kinda left it alone.
IMG00682.jpg

I feel bad that I let it get killed, I've always been pretty diligent about locking them up.
I think I'll keep an eye out and see if I can get whatever got it.. if you know what I mean! ;-)

Quote:
It looks like something did eat some of it, and I took better pictures and you can see a egg that was probably about to be laid laying next to it also.

I don't think I have ever seen a dog in my backyard in the 3 1/2 years I've lived here but it's possible.

Back
Top Bottom