Lost My First Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JewelBirds, Mar 29, 2019.

1. JewelBirds

JewelBirds Songster

Apr 13, 2017
    I used to have twenty-four chickens. Now I have twenty-three. We got Scarlett (along with others) on April 3rd 2017. She just turned two years old and was an ISA Brown hen. She was a bold chicken and almost always got her way. She loved to explore all over the yard and most of all eat as much food as she could find. Once in a while I would call her "Big Red" or "Big Chest" (she LOVED to eat!). This past week she got sick and developed ascites and soon after sour crop. I don't know what caused it. I tried taking her to several vets, who refused to see her because they didn't know anything about chickens. I supported her as best I could and tried to treat the sour crop on my own with the information I found online and on this site. Just as she seemed to be getting over the sour crop, she died the next day (yesterday). I know that what she died from was not the ascites or the sour crop - that these were secondary symptoms to something far more serious. I knew she probably wouldn't make it on her last day so I kept her comfortable and spent that day saying good-bye to her, and she passed a few hours into the night.

Rest In Peace

Scarlett Rose
    DSCF1376.JPG
    IMG_6517.JPG
    IMG_6682.JPG
    IMG_6757.JPG
    IMG_6890.JPG
    IMG_7460.JPG
    IMG_7538.JPG

2. Ginmary

Ginmary Songster

Apr 17, 2018
    Jackson, NJ
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :hugs

4. Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  5. BY Bob

BY Bob Proprietor, Fluffy Butt Acres

Jan 1, 2016
    Hershey, PA
  6. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Georgia
    What a sweet hen

7. JBG acres

JBG acres Songster

Mar 21, 2019
    Central mo
    :hugs

drumstick diva and JewelBirds like this.
  8. olivigus

olivigus Chirping

Jan 7, 2016
    Ben Lomond, California
    I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a lovely girl. It is very true that sometimes there is an underlying condition that we can't see and simply don't know about. The first hen I lost died from an infection. I was worried about the others, so I had a necropsy done on her, and it turned out she had some internal problems with her ovary and other organs (quite possibly from birth) and that is what had made her susceptible to the infection. All of that is just to say that it sounds like you did everything you could for her and she certainly had a good and very happy life with you. I think the last gift our loved and loving animal friends give us is a lesson in how to accept what is and let them go. I still have fond memories of my Domino. Those never go away.

9. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    Sweet tribute, she was happy and loved :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: