Lost my first hen yesterday....

Tgallaher1

Chirping
Jul 11, 2016
Menifee, California
No visible signs of illness, looks like she just dropped off the perch at night, found her flat out....She was the head of the pecking order. And today, only 1 hen layed. They are all kinda quiet, seeming confused. Anyone know how long it takes for the rest to settle into the new pecking order? And would her death upset their laying?

So sorry for your loss :(. When my first and only hen died, my hens still laid an egg everyday and I don't think my chickens really cared to be honest. But of course all chickens are different. If you notice they aren't acting normal just give it a few days and I'm sure they will settle in.
-Ben

No visible signs of illness, looks like she just dropped off the perch at night, found her flat out....She was the head of the pecking order. And today, only 1 hen layed. They are all kinda quiet, seeming confused. Anyone know how long it takes for the rest to settle into the new pecking order? And would her death upset their laying?
Sorry for your loss. May I suggest that you take her body the lab in San Bernadino for necropsy? It's only $20 and is the best way to find out what your hen died from.
http://cahfs.ucdavis.edu/about/locations/sanb.cfm

Back
Top Bottom