Reintegrating Adult Hen

trputman

Chirping
Jan 5, 2022
Riverton, NJ
We had three Dominiques until we lost the head hen to an unknown illness just before Christmas. When another showed similar symptoms, we took her to a vet and she received some treatments (plus ongoing pilling) that have gotten her pretty much back to normal.

Today I let her out in the yard with the other surviving hen to see how they'd do in an eventual reintegration, and the other hen pecked her several times. She's likely still in isolation for a bit yet, but I wanted to ask for any tips for reintegrating, especially since the dynamics in general may be off in the absence of the third hen anyway. I have read plenty about integrating new chicks (ie separated but visible for a while, supervised outdoor integration, etc.). Would the same likely be applicable in this case?

Thanks!

-Tyler

I have read plenty about integrating new chicks (ie separated but visible for a while, supervised outdoor integration, etc.). Would the same likely be applicable in this case?
You might need to do that.

Then again, with exactly two hens, you might not.
Today I let her out in the yard with the other surviving hen to see how they'd do in an eventual reintegration, and the other hen pecked her several times. She's likely still in isolation for a bit yet, but I wanted to ask for any tips for reintegrating, especially since the dynamics in general may be off in the absence of the third hen anyway.
A few pecks are usually no big deal.

The returning hen will not have to deal with a whole flock picking on her, because there is just one other hen. The behavior of that one hen will have a big effect on what you need to do.

I would probably put them together sometimes, like you did, and watch what happens. Depending on how that goes, that might be all you have to do, and then they will be fine together.

If the one hen acts vicious and the other acts scared, definitely try a look-no-touch setup (like is commonly recommended for introducing new members to the flock.) But that is more bother and takes longer, so I would definitely try the easy way first (put them together and watch what happens, being ready to intervene if needed.)

One on one, should be a lot of bluster, and over, if you don't interfere. If there is blood, you need to interfere, but if it is just bluster, don't, or you just prolong it.

However, if one chicken is weak, this could be a wreck, and you might need to do the whole separation thing. If so, isolate the healthy bird one day, and the recovering bird the next day. So if you have a dog pen, put one in one day, letting the other roam the run, and then flip it the next day.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom