Lost my job and now they pour salt in the wound...

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I agree with you, schools are like a business they don't care about the kids like they should. They care about what brings in the funding, such as sports. Teachers like you though will find a job. You will be remembered by your students as a kind, caring teacher and you might just have one or two students that remember the biology teacher that made a difference in their life. Last august went to a funeral of my former musical teacher, he was our choir/music teacher and the line was out the door for hours from his former students that coursed his 30 some years at our school. Mr m was similar to the teacher in hollnds opus, he cared about his students, his music and it showed every day when he came to class. This is just another page and no it is not fair, but you will find another place to spread your wisdom and make a difference.

Last edited:
This is something parents hate to hear, that a poor teacher is retained because they coach, and a good teacher is let go. Fortunately, it is happening less and less often.

I do feel districts care about children, but they also have limited budgets. When tax revenues go down, as in this economy, schools' money dries up. Often art and music are cut first, then first year teachers, but sports particularly in Texas always seem to have money.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Science is so important, and this country is falling behind because so little attention is paid to math and science.

hugs.gif
I don't have any words of wisdom, but just wanted you to know I am very sorry you were treated this way. I know I would be really PO'd if I found out my kids were being taught biology by the wrestling coach because they kicked out the "real" biology teacher for no reason other than $$$!
barnie.gif
I imagine the wrestling coach probably isn't thrilled about teaching biology either (but at least he still has a job!).
fl.gif
Good luck on finding a job soon.....

I'm taking a HUGE cut on hours because of the budget cuts here in NC. I've been cut from full time, 5 days a week to 1/2 days, 3 days a week with NO benefits. But, I'm grateful to have some sort of job in this crisis. The school district is not filling those positions left by retiring teachers, including 2 science, 1 foreign language, and my 1/2 days of English and Theatre Arts.

I'd take a different approach given the current circumstances. Since you mentioned faith, I'd be very suspect as that being the reason for your dismissal. I'd file a lawsuit.

I am sorry this happened to you. Backstabbing insider politics is as much a part of district staffing decisions as is money.

They aren't pouring salt on your wound, they are merely proving to you that your being let go was certainly NOT a matter of competence!

Like the others said - you're not the only teacher in this boat so, while that may make the pool of jobs harder to find, you know it isn't personal. I am sure you'll find something someplace that will appreciate you more!

And skip the lawsuit, you've got no grounds......

Wow... What a tremendous outpouring of support!! Thank you so much for all your kind words!!

I was encouraged by several people to be "sick" or play ping pong and watch movies for the rest of the year because of what had been done to me. But I knew that come time for the big standardized test next year my students would have been the ones hurt the most. If I'd given up, they wouldn't have gotten the information on DNA, Protein Synthesis, Cell parts and functions, and Cellular processes. I refused to do that. And come judgment day, I would have had to answer for my actions. Now I can go with a clear conscience (at least about that!!).

It was never for a day about a paycheck. I live for these kids.

As it stands, my husband is looking at civilian fire fighting in Iraq for a year. It would mean 345 days without my husband, but I would be able to stay at home with my 2 year old. The problem with moving schools is that I would have to take my son out of the excellent daycare he's in (that took me -9 months- to get him in) to be able to get to work on time in a district 20-45 minutes away. I currently live about 1/2 a mile from daycare and 9/10th of a mile from my school. Talk about a slap in the face to have to commute somewhere I didn't even want to be.

I don't think I'll ever give up on teaching. Even if it means switching to home school for my son. Education is a passion and there's nothing compared to the feeling of being able to touch a life.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. I know in my heart things happen for a reason and that I'll be ok. I just needed to be reminded
smile.png

Do any of you that homeschool have older children (9-12)?

They always gotta have a coach....
roll.png

I graduated as a Phi Beta Kappa Junior inductee from UNC Chapel Hill with a degree in secondary social studies education over 20 years ago now. I was first in my education class with over a 3.8 GPA. I had stellar reviews from my student teacher experience and LOVED being in the classroom. I had excellent character references. I was pumped, psyched up and ready to change the world..... I'm also not a coach.

I interviewed for MULTIPLE highschool teaching jobs. In EACH interview one of the first 5 questions I was asked was not about my philosophies about teaching, not about my academic career, not about my student teaching... it was 'Now, what extra curricular activities can you coach???' My answer was always, 'I am not qualified to coach any sports, but I'm certainly willing to assist or to take on any clubs, etc"

Sometimes the principal was nice enough to cut the BS and ask that question first. The interview was always over very quickly after they heard my answer. And a couple of them were even nice enough to admit that I was a GREAT candidate for the position, but they needed someone who could coach _______ (fill in the blank here - football, soccer, basketball, etc.)

I did end up getting a job - as a 10th day hire completely out of my certification area (middle grades SS/health/PE, ironically enough). I was miserable - it was totally NOT where I wanted to be - wrong subject matter, wrong age group.

When my job ended at the end of that year due to the population dropping at my school, I did the 'can you coach?' interview circuit again the next summer trying to move back into High School Social Studies with the same results.

Ended up getting a job teaching at a community college part time and eventually moved into corporate training.

Because they wanted COACHES and not TEACHERS, they lost me completely. I'll never go back into the public school classroom, although I think I'd be a better-than-ever teacher now that I've got life experience as well as a good education.

I have no doubt that in your case that was the decision they made - they could keep a mediocre teacher who could coach or keep a good teacher and lose the coach. When there's a hiring freeze that would make replacing the coach next to impossible...they made their decision and you are the one who pays the price.

It's all about the priorities... academics will lose out to athletics at the high school level most every time - at least in my experience and observation.

So sorry you are going through this - hope that a silver lining appears for you very soon!

I have to say that I wanted to teach so badly, but I ended up with a much lower stress job where I make 3x what I would be making if I were still in the classroom. While it hurt so badly at the time - the disillusionment of my dream career - in retrospect losing my teaching job was truly a blessing in disguise and one of the best thing that ever happened to me. I still get to teach through my job and in the outside interests I have without all the stress and BS you have to deal with in a public school classroom.

Good luck to you! I hope you have a happy ending too!

arlee453,

What a story!! How disheartening it must have been to have worked so hard and go through all those interviews.

It was always my concern that not being a coach would be to my detriment. So many of my coworkers tell me "They need science teachers everywhere!!" But several of those jobs have coaching attached to them. A coach at my school figured out that with all the hours after school that they put in it averages out to $.33 (that's cents) an hour after 3:30. No. Way.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a job that still encompasses your passion for teaching. It's encouraging to hear that!!

I had thought about trying for my masters in biology and moving to a community college. I think I could do a lot there. I would be able to bring so much more than "Here's your notes, now go study" to a college classroom.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. Thanks to *all* of you who have shared your stories. I'm so thankful for those of you who still have jobs!

One more note... Please let me make it clear that not all coaches are bad teachers. Some of them are downright fabulous. One of my fellow biology teacher is a coach and an amazing teacher. The man that they're moving to science is a very nice person. I hope that he attends some training that really invigorates his instruction methods. It's really all about the kids. I just wish that not being a coach wasn't so detrimental!

Again, thank you for the support! I'm always up for ideas on what to do next!

Quote:
from a coach.. thanks. A lot of times we get pushed into positions we don't really want to be in, but like everyone else we do what we are to. As far as coaches being good teachers. I have had experience with both. At a previous school, our coaches were all teachers first. In fact, as a group we had a higher standardized test scores than the rest of the faculty. I can't say that about the school I'm at now, but again there are a few of us that are good teachers.

Back
Top Bottom