Lost my pied male yesterday

Trefoil

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
My weanling pied male flew over into the dog yard yesterday and my german shepard had a fancy lunch. That leaves me with a pair of bs and a pr of purple bs weanlings so today I clipped wings and wormed with ivermectin, hoping that they can't get up in the tree by my dog pen anymore. I lose a lot more birds due to my stupidity than other predators, including cars.
I have a 7 year old hen that won't stay around the other peas, she seems to like one of my cochin roosters. She has laid eggs and brooded them for the last 2 years , one of which I had no peacock and the other year I never saw the peacock even around her. She free ranges. I plan to try penning her with a peacock this year, when should I do this? Also, has anybody had any luck training a dog that has killed & eaten a pea to leave them alone? If so, how?
Thanks for the help.

hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss.
The peas will still be able to fly pretty good even with clipped wings, i know imy cameo went into the dog pen with 4 pups i had in training, they did not kill her but did pull out most of her feathers ,but she could still fly up high in the tree, i was amazed because she had no tail feathers at all.

A pent up dog is full of energy so when something lands in their territory they pounce on it, can't blame them.
You could put chicken wire over the top of the dog's pen if it is just a kennel, I did not cover my pen but the peas seemed to have learned from watching what happened to the cameo and i never see them up on the kennel panels when the pups are locked up

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

I have a Labrador mix (a bird dog), who killed my neighbors' chicken when he was one or two years old, before we had gotten chicks. That was the first and only time he ever killed a bird. When I got the first chicks I raised them in the house, and held them to the dog (at a safe distance, of course) and told him good boy if he sat there nicely. That kind of thing. He actually got out of the yard a couple months ago while the chickens were out - free ranging - and both he and my other dog (Australian Shepherd, still a spaz at 12 years old), ran right by the chickens without even thinking about chasing them or killing/eating them.

I know every dog is different, but I'd say pretty much just expose them to the birds, in safe confines. It might not work, but it also might, that's just my experience.

Good luck!
hugs.gif

hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss.
The peas will still be able to fly pretty good even with clipped wings,

A pent up dog is full of energy so when something lands in their territory they pounce on it, can't blame them.
You could put chicken wire over the top of the dog's pen if it is just a kennel, I did not cover my pen but the peas seemed to have learned from watching what happened to the cameo and i never see them up on the kennel panels when the pups are locked up
Shh, don't tell them that, maybe they won't figure it out by themselves. I would love to be able to cover the dog pen, but its over 1/2 acre and has tall trees in it. If they do go into the trees again I'll have to give up on letting them out.
I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

I have a Labrador mix (a bird dog), who killed my neighbors' chicken when he was one or two years old, before we had gotten chicks. That was the first and only time he ever killed a bird. When I got the first chicks I raised them in the house, and held them to the dog (at a safe distance, of course) and told him good boy if he sat there nicely. That kind of thing. He actually got out of the yard a couple months ago while the chickens were out - free ranging - and both he and my other dog (Australian Shepherd, still a spaz at 12 years old), ran right by the chickens without even thinking about chasing them or killing/eating them.

I know every dog is different, but I'd say pretty much just expose them to the birds, in safe confines. It might not work, but it also might, that's just my experience.

Good luck!
hugs.gif
I'll try that next summer when I have babies again. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom