Lost one before CANNOT lose another!

Things Yet to Be

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2023
The weather in Indiana has been unstable, but could it make a bird sick?! I recently have noticed that my silkie is underweight and looks different than the rest. Her stools were fine when I first noticed she was sick three days ago, but she is dehydrated and today her stools are small greenish pellets a in clear fluid with tiny white cap. I got her separated from the others in an x pen with heat lamp. I'm giving her vitamins and electrolyte solution along with Bella's natural dewormer, pink salmon, and sunflower seed sprouts. Anyone indenify what this is?

I don't think the weather would play a part in it. Especially if she's been a strong and healthy bird up till now. Check in her ears for infection, listen for rattling, wheezing, etc., when she breathes and check her crop to see how it feels. Also check in her mouth for anything. You're doing a good job taking care of her. Plain yogurt or raw cows milk is also a really good for sick birds.

What have her symptoms been? How old is she? Has she been laying eggs recently. Will she drink water if you hold it up to her beak? Try offering some scrambled egg bits and mushy wet chicken feed.

I don't think the weather would play a part in it. Especially if she's been a strong and healthy bird up till now. Check in her ears for infection, listen for rattling, wheezing, etc., when she breathes and check her crop to see how it feels. Also check in her mouth for anything. You're doing a good job taking care of her. Plain yogurt or raw cows milk is also a really good for sick birds.
No she is not wheezing or such far as I can see she is breathing very well. I've been touching her crop twice a day and it fills only halfway full with soupy granules (the seeds and soaked cracked corn I'm offering to her probably) before the crop empties. I had checked in her beak, looks normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Will try giving her milk, would goats milk maybe more digestible, because I have it on hand.

What have her symptoms been? How old is she? Has she been laying eggs recently. Will she drink water if you hold it up to her beak? Try offering some scrambled egg bits and mushy wet chicken feed.
Symptoms are tiny greenish stools in clear fluid, like what a sick poult might get, stand offish, dehydration, weight loss and seems like loss of appetite because I haven't seen her eat a thing since she's been sick, her crop is only ever halfway full with soupy material. I can't image it's mostly water because she's so dehydrated. I have syringed 6 ML into her yesterday.

No she is not wheezing or such far as I can see she is breathing very well. I've been touching her crop twice a day and it fills only halfway full with soupy granules (the seeds and soaked cracked corn I'm offering to her probably) before the crop empties. I had checked in her beak, looks normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Will try giving her milk, would goats milk maybe more digestible, because I have it on hand.
Can you give her chicken crumbles or pellets soaked with water in a small bowl? That and perhaps a little scrambled egg would be the best food for her since it is well balanced with all of the nutrients she needs. What does she normally eat? Corn and seeds have very little protein and the minerals and vitamins she needs. Does her crop completely empty overnight? Don’t feed her milk, since chickens do not need or digest dairy well.

Can you give her chicken crumbles or pellets soaked with water in a small bowl? That and perhaps a little scrambled egg would be the best food for her since it is well balanced with all of the nutrients she needs. What does she normally eat? Corn and seeds have very little protein and the minerals and vitamins she needs. Does her crop completely empty overnight? Don’t feed her milk, since chickens do not need or digest dairy well.
Her crop is emptying overnight, yes. I am giving her Kent Layer feed. None of my birds eat straight corn and seeds because my Dad is really good at keeping up the nutritional balance of our flock, tho I do know people who only ever feed just corn and the birds are great but I never understood that. I will give her the scrambled egg yolks tonight. Crop is soft and squishy and mostly water, because when I picked her up she spit up the contants of her bird stomach, which was a sour smelling water. I am increasingly alarmed as I believe Jessica is worsening. Tho she did chase a cricket I gave her, and she seems bright eyed. I think maybe it could be parasites because she is very skinny and stools look strange, unhealthy. Does any have any idea maybe what kind of worm could do this?

Her crop is emptying overnight, yes. I am giving her Kent Layer feed. None of my birds eat straight corn and seeds because my Dad is really good at keeping up the nutritional balance of our flock, tho I do know people who only ever feed just corn and the birds are great but I never understood that. I will give her the scrambled egg yolks tonight. Crop is soft and squishy and mostly water, because when I picked her up she spit up the contants of her bird stomach, which was a sour smelling water. I am increasingly alarmed as I believe Jessica is worsening. Tho she did chase a cricket I gave her, and she seems bright eyed. I think maybe it could be parasites because she is very skinny and stools look strange, unhealthy. Does any have any idea maybe what kind of worm could do this?
It sounds a bit like sour crop to me.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Well, I figure the contants of the crop would smell sour because when we throw up it smells too. She seriously is way too thin for my liking. If she doesn't die of whatever this is, she might die of starvation if she doesn't eat! I am really worried, I had lost the cockerel a few months back and have a few of the silkies left, they came from a friend and I cannot tell her Jessica died too. I am wondering if a vet would be too expensive, because poultry vets are very hard to find here.

Back
Top Bottom