Lost one of my black OEGB hen today

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
Today as I was gathering eggs I lost one of my black OEGB hens and it was all my fault. I didn't get the door shut all the way and she slipped out of her pen into the brahma pen and my brahma roo killed her. She died in my arms. It happened so fast that there was nothing I could do. I feel soooo bad. She was only 5 months old and had just started to lay. My son and I buried her in the garden. Why would the roo attack her? They have been in the pen next to the brahmas for months. The whole attack lasted about 15 seconds and it was over. RIP Stella.
hit.gif

have had that happen before with roosters, some roosters aren't chick-friendly.. and with the size of a 5 month old bantam and a brahma cock he may have confused the two. then theres some roosters will give hens a tap to let new hens know "who's boss"... and he may have just not liked her. i've seen it before with a rooster one BBred i had a long time ago you couldn't breed him to anything unless it was another BBred or a white fowl. he'd kill everything else

Back
Top Bottom