Lost one today - in a crazy way

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by calicokat, Sep 24, 2011.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    We had two identical WCB Polish roosters, Thing 1 and Thing 2. Everyone was free ranging today like usual. Thing 1 usually chased everyone else around, trying to remind them he is top roo.

Went out to put them to bed, and THing 1 is FLOATING IN THE SWIMMING POOL! It's an above ground, about 4.5 feet tall. All I can figure is, he was chasing one of the other birds, and got to flying a bit - then found himself out of umph and over the pool. We feel horrible because we planned to take the pool down for the winter tomorrow afternoon. [​IMG]

Durn Murphy's Law!

2. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Sorry for your loss... [​IMG]

3. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    This happened to one of mine a while ago. Noticed I was missing a chicken searched for ages. Finally found her floating in one of our ponds. So me thinking she was dead got a stick and slid her across the water towards me. Then she moved. She had hyperthermia so was stiff, freezing, very very slow heart beat and taking like two breaths a minute. But after blow drying her for ages then putting her in the incubator she was completely back to normal in just a few hours.
    Sorry you lost your roo though [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

5. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Thats a bummer cali. Sorry to hear about that. [​IMG]

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Mine fall in my water lily ponds from time to time but they can at least get out quickly. It's really funny to see them do it, they run over the water lilies to get out and it looks like they're walking on water.

Sorry for your loss though [​IMG] Sounds like those with pools need to keep the chickies safe from it.

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    sorry for your loss.....[​IMG]

8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Oh goodness, so sorry for your loss! Now I am worrying how high my free ranging bantams can jump.

9. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    [​IMG] So sorry...

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    wow how unfortunate!! Sorry to hear that. Having chickens there is always something going on... Not Good and so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by