Lost one...

Amyh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
North Carolina
We had gotten two silkie chicks this week and the tiny black one was my daughter's favorite. I noticed that he seemed to have a broken toe and didn't seem to be growing. He also had some pasty butt... I cleaned off his butt this morning and some of his little fuzz came off of his rear end and then a few minutes later he died. I had posted that my chicks cheeped non-stop too and now that the little one has died the other chick seems much quieter and is more relaxed...

Did I do something awful and kill him? I feel so sad and at fault.

We only have one chick now, will this one be okay on his/her own for a few weeks until large enough to add to our older girls?

Last edited:
You poor thing! I'm sure you didn't do anything to kill the chick--sometimes as humans I think we start thinking that, with enough effort and information, we can prevent all bad things from happening to innocent little creatures. Accidents happen, and there was probably something wrong internally with the poor chick. I'm new, but from what I understand pasty butt alone doesn't kill as long as you take care of it, which you did. I feel for you and hope you won't blame yourself!
hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss. It just happens sometimes. We lost two EE out of the 11 just like that. :-(

I would, however, get more chicks to keep a company for the remaining one. I'm very new at keeping chickens, but I believe they like to be in a group. I know mine do. And it will be very hard for this little one to join older chickens when time comes. I have three pullets that are not very fond of the chicks we have, but at least the chicks outnumber the big chickens and when the chicks grow enough to join the big gals they will have a chance against them. Also , from my understanding, they will probably form two groups anyway - big chickens vs. younger chicks.

Last edited:
Thanks. I feel a little better today.

I spoke to a man that works at the feed store, and he is going to let me buy a few chicks from him for $1 a pc, unfortunately we won't know the breed. I'm hoping we get some EE's, but either way, at least it will be company for my poor little chick.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom