lost some quail....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lagpmgdsls, Jul 11, 2010.

1. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    went out to do my morning quail "chores" and had 7 dead quail. These were 5 week old in my grow out pen. They had food and water....no visible injuries. [​IMG]

The other 33 look ok so far.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Did you have any high winds/storms ? Possibly a predator frightened them .. Also have oyu noticed any panting?? Thye can overheat very easily...

3. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    We had downpours yesterday morning but they were fine last night before I went to bed. It was much hotter a few days ago...now just in the 80's. Haven't noticed any panting. I guess a predator could of scared them.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:mine have broken their necks before by jumping up...

5. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    the same thing happened to me. I moved them outside into a rabbit hutch type box. They were fine for a week, then I lost 3 in 3 days. I called it quail homicide. I swear 2 of them seemed smothered to death. The 3rd, I found still alive, so I brought him in, fed him sugar water, and crumbles. He couldn't walk on one of his legs. Each time I gave him the food/water, he perked up, but he only lasted a day.[​IMG] Sorry you are having the troubles.

6. gendwk

gendwk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2010
    vista ca.
    how tall is your grow outs roof? I have hat similar problem till I raised the roof and used soft flexable plastic roofing you can also pad the roof with soft foam like they ship eggs in..
    sorry for your loss..

7. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I have several coturnix that started laying about 3 weeks ago,the roosters have been doing their thing,can I start incubating the eggs soon after they start laying or should I wait a week or so?

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:SET THEM! IF MR" LOOK AT ME" IS DOIN HIS JOB THEY ARE VERY LIKELY FERTILE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by