1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lost to an opossum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hansen4211, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Hansen4211

Hansen4211 Chillin' With My Peeps

woke up this morning to a dead chicken in the coop. Half eaten. Our coop is very secure with hardware cloth, heavy metal fencing on the ground around the coop, and a metal roof. The sides are 8 feet high with only a 3 inch gap between the top and the roof. Darn if an oppossum didnt get thru that 3" gap and my husband found it napping in a nesting box after destroying one of my girls.

My great husband quickly boarded up those openings. And got rid of the oppossum. Im glad I didn't find it.

2. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    yah i lost a bantam to one last week, only ate the head than drank the blood.

3. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Wow, I have alot of opossum where I live and they don't bother my chickens, they are more scavengers. Sounds more like a racoon to me, they rip heads off and only eat some of the chicken then take off.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. Hansen4211

found a total of 4 oppossums tonight. All stalking our chickens after the one killing one of our girls last night. Kinda scary really. they have never bothered them before, but all of a sudden, they are all around the chickens.

5. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee
    A possum is like a cat, if they can find an opening that they can get their head through, the rest of them will follow.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I watched a possum go trough a 1 1/2 inch opening. 3 inches is like a train tunnel to them.

7. Hansen4211

well that 3" opening is no longer there

8. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    I've had [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]opossums tear thru a fence before not much will stop a full grown opossum. What I found that works the best against them is a Blue Healer (probably not the correct spelling) and a 22 cal rifle[/FONT]

9. Hansen4211

We don't have a dog, but we do have a cat that is usually pretty good and running everything off. However, we have made use of the .22

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Possums go into baited traps easily, catfood, scraps, or eggs work.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by