lost to an opossum

Hansen4211

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Timmonsville, South Carolina
woke up this morning to a dead chicken in the coop. Half eaten. Our coop is very secure with hardware cloth, heavy metal fencing on the ground around the coop, and a metal roof. The sides are 8 feet high with only a 3 inch gap between the top and the roof. Darn if an oppossum didnt get thru that 3" gap and my husband found it napping in a nesting box after destroying one of my girls.

My great husband quickly boarded up those openings. And got rid of the oppossum. Im glad I didn't find it.

Wow, I have alot of opossum where I live and they don't bother my chickens, they are more scavengers. Sounds more like a racoon to me, they rip heads off and only eat some of the chicken then take off.

Last edited:
found a total of 4 oppossums tonight. All stalking our chickens after the one killing one of our girls last night. Kinda scary really. they have never bothered them before, but all of a sudden, they are all around the chickens.

I've had [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]opossums tear thru a fence before not much will stop a full grown opossum. What I found that works the best against them is a Blue Healer (probably not the correct spelling) and a 22 cal rifle[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom