lost two babies overnight

anne baughan

Hatching
8 Years
May 4, 2011
i have been breeding silkies now for about a year and when i came downstairs this am two of my five day old chicks were laid dead in the brooder i haven't had any chicks die on me before now and am @ a loss to why this has happened,scared im going to lose more,everyone else seems ok but so did they @ 10..30 last night when i checked them b4 bed.ive also noticed the other chicks dont seem to be eating or drinking and are very quiet but run away when i go near them.

Last edited:
So sorry Anne. Sounds as though we are in a similar boat. As are others on the forum. I have not had your experiance as I am new to this, my first try with a brooder box. It is a terrible feeling to lose on and the fear of the others following is equally bad. My other 7 are doing well though I think, I hope. Good luck. Sandra

Good morning Anne I am very new @ this my first time lost 3 little silkies the other night 1 than 2 days later 2 more no rhyme or reason when I bought them they were very healthy bought them from a breeder and they seemed very lively and then my littlest splash started turning very cold put her under the heat lamp and came down and the morning and she was passed. Then lost 2 more came home and they were passed so I can sympathize with you. I have 4 silkies left that are 2 weeks old and 18 that are 3 months that are in different housing.Buff Oping tons Barred rocks and Americana's.They came from a local grain store and are growing like little weeds.

Sorry for your loss. This time of year make sure the temps are correct for your little ones. Really easy to get overheated. Of course depending on where they are could have gotten too cold. You've got to get them eating and drinking again pretty quick.

Thank you they are eating and drinking but get very scared when I try to handle them they are living in a big tupperware tub in the living room for the time being do you think I should put them in a small dog crate where the air can circulate more?I only have 4 @ the present & they are going on 3 wks Sat. Laurie

Back
Top Bottom