Lots of cockerels šŸ“

I would like to but no one wants them. I have Bantams, we could eat them but neighbours will have an issue while we mature that many Roos. I do keep one or two and last year I rehomed but sadly no availability with anyone. Tried a couple of farms as well.
I hope you can find homes for them :fl the bantams do seem rather small to eat anyway.

Dispatching for food or illness or harmony on the farm is part of the deal for most people. If anyone can get away with selling or giving away roosters more power to them. But it is hard and gets harder each time you do it to find homes for them. Many people wish to keep chickens but donā€™t have the luxury of buying sexed pullets.
ā€œHaving chickens means killing chickensā€ is something Iā€™ve heard many times.
Yes and; I am realising when I ā€œbuyā€ a pullet I have probably paid for a cockerel and a hen. I may not be dispatching but I believe as you say it has happened on that farm.
This has torn me when it comes to hatching some eggs (we donā€™t hatch loads only for our backyard hens).
I feel now Iā€™m having to deal with the issue there is a honesty and learning in this. I am learning where ever the chickens come from to value them and maybe to not look at one hen and think thatā€™s it but to understand everything that has taken place to this point.
I really like animals so find this hard but feels like there is honesty in it. I think important to not just take eggs, meat or other animals and their products for granted. I now consume less and look into welfare a lot.

Thanks, I know we live their eggs just eat two for one big egg. More yoke šŸ˜‰

they have amazing temperaments the Pekinā€™s. Great pets as well, we have two over 11 year old girls in retirement with us.
I love getting double yolkers!!! I donā€™t get them that often though :(

And thatā€™s awesome!!! Thatā€™s amazing for a chicken!!!

I have some of the Pekins myself. I think they are called Cochins here though? Or maybe they are a separate breed. Mine are bantams too though.

Why canā€™t you? Plenty of people get them specifically for that purpose and there is nothing wrong with it. I get that some people canā€™t and mine are pets too but donā€™t try to shame someone for their own personal choices or force your beliefs on them. Everyone does what works for them.

I'm not trying shame anyone, or force my beliefs on them. I'm simply saying that everyone on this thread has immediately rushed into culling instead of helping the OP try to find other options. I know there are people who keep chickens specifically for meat, and that's okay. It's just that, in this situation, we should be trying to save the lives of these roosters and not figure out ways to kill them.

I'm not trying shame anyone, or force my beliefs on them. I'm simply saying that everyone on this thread has immediately rushed into culling instead of helping the OP try to find other options. I know there are people who keep chickens specifically for meat, and that's okay. It's just that, in this situation, we should be trying to save the lives of these roosters and not figure out ways to kill them.

Just a thought - that's probably because the OP has expressed multiple times having tried other options and was asking for humane culling methods?
Like the OP said they tried other options and wanted to figure out the best way to kill them.
Which is why some people were helping with figuring out ways to do... What the OP asked for?

Last edited:
A high percentage of cockerels hatched. Last year I rehomed but this year I canā€™t find a home for them all.
They are over 8 weeks old now. Think I may have to cull witch is sad.
What is the most humane way to do it?
Any advice would be appreciated. Quite like the little fellas but we canā€™t keep 6 of them šŸ˜”.
Pekin Bantams
When I get extra roosters I dispatch them and give them to a friend who's a falconer for his birds. You could see if there's on in your area. As far as the most humane way to dispatch any bird, I've used the broomstick method with excellent results. Quick, easy and painless.

That is a good idea! So the Roos in question are now rehomed for sale and if they donā€™t sell go to sanctuary. Two of them are frizzles and they may keep one or both for breeding mixed Pekin frizzles.
Have some little ones coming on so may have a few more to him in four more weeks but thatā€™s it then. Thanks for help, if I get stuck falconry only 10 miles away Iā€™ll talk to them

Back
Top Bottom