Lots of dirty eggs......can you give me some cleaning advice?

paxicotrader

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Our ducks and chickens are free range. Thus, we find eggs all over and many of them (esp. duck eggs) are dirty. For the family's consumption, we've been simply wiping with a dry paper towel, storing and then eating.

I have two questions (because wiping is still not getting rid of all of the dirt/poo):

1. Is it ok to clean the eggs we are going to eat with water JUST before cracking them open? (and if so, what temperature of water)

2. For eggs we plan to sell, am I going to have to sand them with a scrubby? What do people expect when they are buying farm eggs? Not a spot of dirt? Some dirt?

I clean mine under warm running water with a scrubby sponge if they're really dirty. Just lightly scrub, and dirt comes right off.

Paula:)

When I collect eggs for the fridge I wipe off with dry paper towel. When using from the fridge if there is still some dirt, I will leave them on the counter, 5-10 minutes, which will create some condensation on the outside of the egg. I will then use that moisture to wipe off any dirt with a paper towel.

Works pretty well

Washing before going into the fridge removes a protective type of membrane on the egg shell which could allow bacteria to enter the egg

Quote:
I've read this before, the bacteria entering the egg. I haven't had an egg go bad yet because of washing it, though. I can't put a dirty egg into the fridge, but that's just me. I just can't imagine cleaning an egg before refrigerating it would make it go bad.
idunno.gif

Paula

Sorry I don't have the reference handy - but eggs should be washed in COLD water due to physics... warm travels to cold (cold absorbs energy from warm, seeking equillibrium). This means that bacteria on the outside of the shell will pass through the shell membrane as the egg warms up - even if only for seconds. Sorry - three semesters of chemistry in college - really does apply to everyday life!

You know, I would've thought cold water, but I've always read here to wash in warm water. I need to research that a little more. Thanks.

Paula

Quote:
Energy and material are two different things. Energy would travel out from a warm egg to the cold water. But, as the egg cools, the material inside contracts, and the interior pressure lowers. If there is bacteria on the shell, it could get drawn in through the pores by the gradient in pressure.

Back
Top Bottom