LOTS OF FEATHERS! What to do with my birds feathers!

sticks22

Songster
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Grove, oklahoma
What do you folks do with all your feathers from your culled birds? Just wondering what to do when the time arrives. I read that the old timers used to stuff pillows with them. Just curious!

Just normal shedding can look like a massacre in their pens!

When I clean the coops I also rake their pen and knock down cob webs..
Throw it all in the compost pile.....

When my son was younger he made dream catchers and gave them away.
It was kind of cute.... Wish I had kept one..

the bigger, nicer ones can sometimes be used as quills. i hadn't thought of stuffing a pillow though. me, just for allergies, i probably woulnd't. the dream catcher is a nice idea, though. also i give them to people sometimes. you would be surprised how many people like a pretty colored feather. then of course, most tossed out.

Only certain types and they are mighty picky about what they are.
wink.png

at would be mostly neck feathers I believe. You can get hackle feathers died different colors at Bass Pro shops and other locations.

Last year....I took several of the better looking feathers...cleaned them and used a small half round of styrofoam..and made " turkey place cards" the the Thanksgiving dinner table. Everyone got to take thiers home. They loved it!

We have a lot of fires outside, so we will save the feathers in dog food bags in my tool shed and use them for this. Yes, they don't smell so good but they light pretty quickly. Dry and fluffy!

Back
Top Bottom