Lots of Flock Raiser...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SparksNV, Sep 20, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I have alot of Flock Raiser - My 6 hens are 17-20 weeks old - none of them are laying yet - one looks closer. Can I continue to feed them Flock Raiser until I run out, then switch to Layena?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't want it to go to waste.

I would continue with the flock raiser and mix in some oyster shell starting at week 19.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I feed nothing but Flock Raiser to all my birds, and just give them Oyster Shell.
    They seem to do better with the extra protein

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1
    I put out a bowl of oyster shell for them. (But I don't use Flock Raiser.)

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I would continue on the Flock Raiser until you run out or they start to lay. At that point you can determine to start a layer feed. Some only use flock raiser with oyster shells because they are feeding ducks, geese, etc. along with there chickens.

6. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    No need to really start putting out laying mash until they begin laying. I just kept feeding them as usual until I got surprised by an egg. The next time I went to the store I swapped over.

Just recently, I've changed to a custom feed that can be used after starter from there on out, so that will make it a bit easier to deal with from now on.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    OK thanks! I have oyster shell out - not much interest in it - still waiting the impossible wait...

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Why switch? Keep them on Flock Raiser just add some oyster shell free choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by