1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

(Lots of help needed) Do you need to teach your hens to lay in their nesting box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickie46, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Chickie46

Chickie46 New Egg

Jul 1, 2016
    Today my hens started to lay their first egg :yiipchick (first time having chickens) This is probably a dumb question but do I need to teach my hens to lay eggs in their nesting boxes if so how do I teach them?:confused: I found the first egg outside or will the hens pick up that they need to lay in their nesting boxes. Thanks for any kind of help!!

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yes teach them by putting fake eggs in the nest boxes. Golf balls will do, ceramic eggs, etc. Once they begin laying in a place they get attached to it! Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    They usually get the hang of it quickly if the nest box is comfy and kind of dark inside. Some people use fake "eggs" like golf balls and the like and place them in the nest box to encourage the girls to lay there. Good luck to you!

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I use golf balls, and Sue is right! They will get used to where they are laying. Good luck.

5. Chickie46

Chickie46 New Egg

Jul 1, 2016
    Thanks everyone for your help it has all worked out well as they are all using the nesting boxes now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by