Lots of sneezing going on..... Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted Chicken, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    A few weeks a go I added two hens to my flock. They broke out of my temporary run (I'm guessing it wasn't latched correctly) and I found them with my original 3 girls. So it was too late to separate them for two weeks like I planned. They never showed any signs of being sick but the woman I purchased them from had a few sick chicks a few weeks prior but had treated her whole flock with Duramycin and they had all seemed healthy for a few weeks prior to picking my girls up. (They were never near the sick chicks) I should have just cancelled my order from her but after driving so far and seeing them and they seemed very healthy I made the choice to bring them home. Bad move. Last week I started noticing sneezing, but thought it was from the DE we had just added to the deep litter after reading up on it here. But 2 days ago one started sneezing quite often. She's still very active, eating well and acts normal in all other ways. I talked to the woman who I bought the new girls from and sneezing with discharge is the symptoms her sick chicks had. Mine have no signs of discharge, yet. She recommended I start them on Duramycin since it worked for her flock. Which I did, however I would love a second opinion on this. Is there any thing else I can do? Poly Vi Sol? I feel so bad that I didn't trust my gut and not bring these new hens home. I'm supposed to be picking up my final 2 hens this month and feel horrible about cancelling with the seller but I think it's the only choice I can make right now. I don't dare get more hens sick.

Anyone have any luck curing their hens of this horrible sneezing? Could my new hens have been carriers and mine are just now (weeks later) coming down with it. Or is this a coincidence?

Thanks for any info you might have.

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    The antibiotics in the water should work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by