Lots of snow....started plowing with the tractor...flat tire !!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by unionwirewoman, Dec 21, 2008.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    We got over a foot of snow 2 days ago . The next day we fired the tractor up to plow . Our driveway is pretty long . After 5 hours of plowing in negative temps , DH comes in and tells me we have a flat tire on one of the rear wheels ! Seems he didn't pick up one of his screw drivers and it got hooked up in the chains on the wheel . Long story short....$250 later we got it fixed . Both of us are out of work due to health issues and Christmas is a little drab this year (just the basics for us and the kids , the kids are hating it !) Sorry , just had to vent .[​IMG]

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Know the feeling.

I am also off work due to health concerns and trying to find something I can do from home.

I am fortunate that my children are grown so that makes it easier.

Take care of yourself and at least you have your close family to share the time with. The commercial side of Christmas is so hard on children, but the important things are the people you can share special moment's with.

Wishing you luck for the coming year,

Jena.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    My tractor has a flat tire, too. It's about 600 lbs with the liquid in it. I can't be arsed to fix it in this weather, so flat it shall remain.

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:(slacker!) [​IMG]

5. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Quote:5 hours to plow your DRIVEWAY???? Ok that is NOT a driveway that is a road!!!

Sorry about the flat, I feel for you. I have to replace the starter on the car this morning and I noticed the cooling fan did not kick in. I looked at a cooling fan and it is $200!!! [​IMG] It is like Come on, it is only a 12 volt motor. I am trying to figure out how many PC fans I will need to duct tape to the radiator.

The kids will be ok with a short Christmas list. We are in the same boat except we have no snow or driveway to plow. I have not even started shopping yet but I know what my wife and I are getting each other.... nothing. As for the kids they will have to make do with about $150 each in presents. That is not much when you consider the Barbie boat my daughter wants is close to $70 AND it doesn't even float.

Both of you guys get better. May you be healthy and prosper in the New Year.

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yes, my Cub Cadet, somedays I love it, most days I curse it.
    Here I am running with health issues and severe arthritis...had 1 flat tire (wondered why the dang thing wouldn't roll and didnt look as though it was rolling...duh.
    Next I broke a stering arm- blower out in the road...neighbor helped me, and then there was the shear pin (simple fix for any but me).
    After finishing the snowblowing, backed it up, I let it cool down before it goes in the garage only to find the battery dead...charger on, 2 hours later, battery still dead (?) *@%@#%(@&^#%@$ !!!
    So today, waiting for the big storm, I have to wait for my brother to come and see why the witch wont start.

So, your not alone in the bull crap. Never feel alone. And the kids may not be happy with the lack of gifts, but we used to get clothes and only things we needed. I believe that this is a good lesson to us, you know we are so spoiled and they need to understand what is going on with mom and dad. This is part of lifes lessons, empathy.
    Good luck and many blessings of hope for you and the family.

7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Spook, at least we can smile and be nice to each other.

and your trials made me smile this morning (been there). I like your philosophy. You are right, it is a life lesson. Kids need to learn, and we would all love to keep spoiling them but we are not doing them any favours if we do.

I empathise with the arthritis, Ihave it in my neck and hips, causing severe problems with my arms right now.... lol.... longing for summer and some warm weather.

Hope you get sorted out soon with your transport.

Best wishes for Christmas to all of you.

Jena.

8. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    I think most everybody is having a less for Christmas this year but Ya'll sure made me feel better about the warm weather forecast for wed and thur . I've been feeling bad because we are going to have 60 s for Christmas day and it should be cold on christmas . BYC always makes me feel better.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To your 60 degrees!!

10. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    We flattened two tractor tires on the 'multi-flora rose' invasive weed that grows around here. The stuff is lethal! Thank goodness we were able to replace with tubes for about $80.00, but will need a new front tire this spring.

Hubby was laid off in July, so we are in the same boat as many others, though at least the unemployment is still coming for now.

Maybe you can plow out some neighbors? Wish we had a plow on our tractor! We do have a snowblower ... it made it through yesterday, but needs a new part too. (Hubby was complaining that you can't prepare for this since you don't know anything is going wrong until you use the darn thing.) Part only $30.00, but we have to wait for it get here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by